Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 6th June 2008, 16:18
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels and Tyres

I decided in the end not to use my Alpina's as they were already fitted with some very low profile tyres that I would have had to replace which would have been a waste as they were almost new. So they are going back on ebay.

Instead I have just bought some brand new 7.5J by 16" Azev's - specially made for the E30 and I hope an Ebay bargain. What does the forum think about tyre profiles for these little beauties? A 55x205 gives a rolling diameter of about 24" - is that about right? Does anyone know how you relate the rim width (7.5j) to the tyre width? - why they don't rate wheel widths in mm the same as the tyres I will never understand...

Robin
Available from eBay
Old 6th June 2008, 20:36
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

This will help with calculations: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

I decided to go for the larger E36/E46 size as the car as a 3.91 diff. Seems like a good combo to me.

Standard wheel size on my E46 (on the front) is 225/45/R17. Which on my 15's results in 205/60/R15. On a 15 IIRC E30's would have 205/55/R15. If you use those numbers are you starting point you can work out the tyre size for 16's

Diameter for E36/46 size its just under 25" for E30 size its under 24"

You could get some new tyres for your alpina's and put the old ones on E30 zone for sale!
Old 6th June 2008, 21:38
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Does anyone know how you relate the rim width (7.5j) to the tyre width? - why they don't rate wheel widths in mm the same as the tyres I will never understand...

Robin
I always find the Toyo website a useful source of tyre widths, diameters and suitable wheel widths.
http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail....s&product_id=3

Much more than 205 wide and you'll start to have trouble fitting them under the front Marlin wings.
To give you some idea what they look like,the ones currently fitted on my car are 205/50R15's.

Peter
Old 9th June 2008, 07:33
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. I think I might go for 205x55x16. There seem to be plenty about in this size.

To answer Patrick's question - it would have been nice to keep the Alpina's but by the time I bought new tyres, even with selling the existing ones (almost new) on ebay, it would have started to get silly money. The Alpinas as they are are worth about £500ish plus. The brand new Azevs were only £200 for the set!

Alpina's will be going on ebay this week.

Robin
Old 9th June 2008, 07:40
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

If / when I replace the TSW's I've got on mine I'll probably go for some light weight 16's - should be a good balance of tyre wall wobble and weight.

The TSW are quite heavy for 15's so a 16 of the same or less weight would be great! I was looking at Team Dynamics Pro race 1.2's but I'm not sure the style fits the Sportster.