Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 15th May 2015, 09:02

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

It will need a bucket full of money to finish that...
Old 15th May 2015, 12:52

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

If you look at the 14 bids they are mostly from the same couple of people, often increasing their own previous bids. Suspiciously like someone is asking their friends to bid the price up...
Old 15th May 2015, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldClassAccident View Post
Suspiciously like someone is asking their friends to bid the price up...
On eBay, naa, couldn't possibly be...
Old 15th May 2015, 19:26

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Required to finish:

Ton of money

Ton of grief sorting the original (failed) builder's work

Ton of grief getting Jag engine to work

IVA

To end up with a 'king expensive fibreglass kit car

Could've put a really good Tribute D type with a GT6 motor on the road for a ton less money
Old 15th May 2015, 20:12

Scottie22 is on a distinguished road

Afraid I have to agree with you all on most of the points covered!

I've always been a Jag-man, and had lots of them, including a series two drop head E Type.

The one thing they all had in common was they ate money and drank petrol, and cost a lot to run. They were big and heavy, and difficult to park, so many down-sides.

Which is why I'm building the little gem I'm working on now!
A Spitfire does 40 mpg on a run and 30 mpg around town, and my present car is much lighter, so should better that. Small and light, easy to park, cheap to run / insure / get spares etc etc....

Anyway, moving on......

Today was no different to other days in the respect of two steps forward one step back.

The brake lights I fixed yesterday refused to work today, and the shitty little cheap-arsed brake light switch that I had fitted worked only intermittently, just what one does not need for an Mot.

I had just bought the first one I saw on line, and having bought it, I then read scimjim's advice on the good quality Land Rover one all in solid brass, and regretted not seeing it sooner, and now, regretting it even more, realizing how right he was, and also that I now need the brass one!!!!!

I still cannot find / trace the indicator unit on my build, so have bought another one so I can carry on towards the Mot.

All four flasher bulbs now are connected and light up when fed.
I shall fit the new unit another day, then that should sort out the flashers.
As my car is pre 1986, it does not need hazard lights, but I think they are a good idea, and have figured out a way to make all four work with a double-pole switch arrangement, which I will post on here at a later date.
8 valve Ed may be interested in this one!

I also tidied up the loom at the nose of the car, and cable-tied the new rewired bits I had added.

It seems to me that the only bloody electrics that work properly on the car are the ones I've rewired with new relays and circuits etc, namely the fan, the horn, headlights sidelights and one or two others!

one pic:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 17th May 2015, 07:54

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
... I still cannot find / trace the indicator unit on my build...
Scottie - I've had a look through some of my old photos to see if they will help.

On the 1500 Spitfire, there are two replays, one fore the indicators and one for the hazard, although they look the same to me.

They are wired up pretty close to the rest of the dash board wiring.

Not easy to spot in this photo, but they are roughly level with the steering column cut out in the dash as you work towards the grass.

But they are fitted into little holders behind the metal dashboard support, you just about see one at the top of this photo next to the speedo/rev counter hole.

Hope that helps, good luck, Paul.
Old 17th May 2015, 08:46

Having just completed wiring the front and back lights, I have cracked my Hazard Flasher issue. Those flasher units which you refer to as relays will be Lucas FL9 flasher units. The reason there are two is that the hazard warning flashers need to be available without the ignition being on but the turn indicators should not work UNLESS the ignition is on.

Having chosen to use a Transit column stalk it changed things for me because the hazard warning flasher switch is part of the steering column switch and that makes the wiring different. I chose the transit switch because it's commonly available and pretty robust, also it has all the functions I need, in one unit.

I still have the two flasher units but I will install a two way switching relay to select the flasher unit appropriate for either the turn indicators or the hazard warning flashers.

I will post a wiring diagram in my own thread in due course.
Old 17th May 2015, 17:56

Default Sunday

Paul, thanks for the diagrams, they did help, and you are right about the Spitfire 1500, and so is 8 valve Ed.

However.............. Although my donar Spit came with a 1500 engine, that engine was retro-fitted by the last owner, and my Spitfire is actually a Mark 1V.

Just for interest, the car would have been fitted with a 1300 engine originally,
which is a better unit than the 1500, but there we go.....

Being a Mk 1V, some of the wiring is different to that on a true 1500.

The car I have does not have a hazard flasher unit fitted, and it is not present in the wiring diagram either.

Having said all that, I have found my car's indicator flasher unit, and it does work when given a live feed. I jury rigged it and got the flashers all going, so I will fit a double pole switch, and get it to hazard flash, ex-ignition circuit like Ed suggested.

Ed, glad to hear you have sorted your flashers out!

You will have read the above bit to Paul, which will explain where I am at now.

What a palaver, but slowly it is coming together.

Today I got the fuel gauge and water gauge working, and decided to change both (Spitfire) of them in my new dash for proper Jaguar ones.

The jag ones were rusty and mucky, so I gave them a brush up, and fitted them in my dash, and they are an improvement on the Spitfire ones.

I also tried to fit the chrome headlight rings that I had bought at Stoneleigh,
only to find that they would not fit behind the headlights, as there was just not enough room. The cowl-space was too narrow to allow the rings in at the back.

Not to be outdone, and determined to fit them, I chopped them down a bit thinner by slicing them almost in half, and that did the trick and now they fit a treat, and the butchery cannot be seen behind the scenes!
I also painted them to stop the rust.

All in all a good productive day.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Scottie22; 17th May 2015 at 18:06..
Old 18th May 2015, 15:50

jones is on a distinguished road

I like the headlight surrounds Scottie

I'm off now for a few days so I hope to see this car finished when I get back.

Good luck!
Old 21st May 2015, 19:02

Default THursday

Although I have not posted for a couple of days, I have been putting lots of time in on the car. It is amazing how I keep finding more and more things that need sorting out. It seems to go on forever.

I think I have cracked the wiring, and appear to have got most things up and working. A lot of the circuits, I have had to re-wire.

Unbelievably, whilst actually working on the wiring, I had another short and burnt my hand trying to get my crocodile clip off the offending wire.

Fortunately, the circuit that was damaged was the door courtesy light and seat belt light one, which I am not going to use anyhow, so I just disconnected them.

Thank goodness for my cut-off switch which I used to avoid any further damage! (Or injury)

My new toy finally arrived and this evening, and I used it for the first time.

The paint has at last cured on the doors, and has sunk only a few microns, but enough to show the edges of some of the "patches", which infuriated me.

I wondered if I could get rid of the marks without spraying the doors again, so I had a go at it.

I flatted the marks very very carefully with a small wood block and 600 grit,
which I used "dry". (Shock horror) However it worked, and I flatted out all the imperfections.

Then I fired up my new toy, and set to work with some G3 and water.
It only took about 5 minutes and the results were (to me at least) totally spectacular! I just could not believe how smooth and deep the shine was.
I think even a professional body-shop man would have been pleased with the results.

And I still have not used any polish yet, that may come later.

The "selfy" picture is taken using the door as a mirror.

I am definitely a huge fan of mopping now!!

Pics:

[IMG][/IMG

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 21st May 2015, 19:25

deggsy is on a distinguished road

That looks really good Scottie I'll have to get one of those toy's for mine ( in a year or two) or better still you can come and polish it for me
Old 21st May 2015, 20:28

garyh is on a distinguished road

you do like your selfies... Like the ad said - if you've got it, flaunt it. Great work on the car as well.
Old 21st May 2015, 20:29

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

The selfie makes your door paint look wrinkled but having met you in person at Stoneleigh I know the paint is perfect.

:-)

Glad you got the wiring sorted
Old 21st May 2015, 21:17

WCA its the lens on the camera honestly!!
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:36

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Mot?

She's looking good Scotty, MOT anytime soon?

Now that my spare NX650's gone, I can concentrate on the rough body edges on mine that are the only bits in the way of its test, which might be as early as next week .

Lotus Day at Castle Combe tomorrow in the Marlin, always a great event when the sun shines.
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:48

As soon as I am confident that all the electrics are 100% Mick,,
I will connect my dash up and then hopefully Mot time!

Looks like you will beat me onto the road!

I worked on the loom yet again today and could not get the Installed hazard system to work, so just got rid of it and made a simple mod using a double-pole switch, and now have a good system which does work well.

I have no pictures , but if anyone is interested in how to make an easy cheap workable hazard system, on a vehicle, here is how I did mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 23rd May 2015, 22:54

a big scary monster is on a distinguished road

Looking good Scottie, is that a curved panel anomaly on your door picture or have you grown a man boob? Thursday night channel 4 is showing the million pound jaguar, might be of interest to you. You should of had a time lapse camera in your tent and you could of aired your own show, the million hour jaguar. Ed
Old 24th May 2015, 07:15

I think its a man-boob Ed, they say its the stuff in our water that causes it!

If you look carefully, it has three nipples too!
Old 24th May 2015, 08:12

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Scottie - Great to see you are still making solid progress.

Keep chipping away, as you are nearly there.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:37

Default Tuesday

Well, I haven't posted for a couple of days, so here's an update.

Having prepared, and done all the connections possible on my dash panel in the house, and having done the same sort of stuff out on the loom in the car, ( and had to re-wire a lot of it) I managed to jury-rig it all to work, so today, the big scary job loomed up at me, which was to try and marry the two things up together.

I put a plank across the two door sills to balance the dash on so I could work on it in an easier way. I tied the dash top to the windscreen top to steady it and got to work.

I have all the lights, indicators, start button, ignition key, gauges, hazards and most other things like the stereo, sat-nav speedo (hidden under the dash) all working too, so I am nearly there.

The dash is not finished or bolted in place yet, but its a lot closer to it.

I still have one or two connections to make, and small jobs to do like fit the choke cable to the carbs and stuff, but the bulk of the work is done now.

Wiring it all up certainly would not have been possible with the dash panel fixed in place first.

It was hard enough to do as it is now!

If a bulb ever blows, it'll take about 6 hours to change!!

Pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]