Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 19th October 2011, 21:04
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Sportster - New hood desin

I've just noticed that Terry has posted on the Marlin Facebook page some pictures of the new hood....

Sportster - New Hood design by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Some interesting other things changed....

Last edited by peterux; 19th October 2011 at 21:17.. Reason: additional info
Available from eBay
Old 20th October 2011, 11:36
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Not liking the new windscreen design. Or the way they're attaching the hood to it with those spring catches. I do like the two piece design at the back though, with the rear window doubling up as a wind-deflector when the roof's down.

The tensioning mechanism is very like the Softbitsforsevens 'Half Roof'

I think I'll pass, and get softbits to make me up a bespoke tonneau and Half Roof.

I wonder why they've moved the battery to the boot space, and shifted the servo into the area it previously occupied? I assume that the header tank has swapped sides due to differing donor engine layout?

[EDIT] - That Servo looks like the original BMW one, which means much more assistance.
Old 20th October 2011, 13:43
Enthusiast

I agree with yourl comments above.

Some nice design features but overall it is not a very attractive implementation. Not sure about why the changes to the windscreen design or how the rear 'canopy' part seals to the roll bar. Looks like it could be very drafty?
Personally speaking, I don't like the rear canopy design but I guess that is down to personal taste.

Maybe it'll look better in real life?

I like the shape of my current hood but would like some folding hood stays to allow for quicker assembly times.
I'll just have to keep practising my pitstops
Old 20th October 2011, 20:23

NigelB is on a distinguished road

I'll reserve judgement until I see it for real but so far it's certainly not floating my boat...............!!

Personal preference I know but those weird extensions at the back look terrible. What is the purpose of them. It certainly not aesthetics. And if I want to go away for a few days and put a suitcase on a luggage rack on the tub, it looks like I'll have to leave the roof at home.

The matt black winscreen surround completely ruins the traditional look of period open top roadster and the spring retainers look real 'heath robinson'

I wonder what the design brief for the roof was and why the fold down roof from the Cabrio / Hunter was not suitable.

I'm sorry Marlin, but after waiting so long to see it, I think I'll stick.
Old 20th October 2011, 20:50
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelB View Post

The matt black winscreen surround completely ruins the traditional look of period open top roadster and the spring retainers look real 'heath robinson'
I noticed the filler cap is black as well, so I guess Mark is trying to achieve a 'cool' modern look. In which case it needs to have black windscreen wipers, windscreen pillar escutcheons and black front grill to match. (It could also be a customer commissioned car specified like this?)
The spring retainers may be temporary fixings and certainly don't look right. A couple of 'over centre latches' would like much nicer. Terry's note says that it's not finished yet, so maybe we should wait and see?
I'm guessing that the bottom of the windscreen surround has been removed to improve visibility for short drivers and/or passengers?
Visibility out the side windows looks a bit challenging as the top edge of the clear part looks quite low.
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:21

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Pictures from Exeter. Not very good I'm afraid, taken with flash as the hall was a bit gloomy.

Also a picture of a brake servo. It is fitted to the hybrid Cabrio/Sportster that Marlin made as a one off, Sportster front end, cabrio back. Bet of both worlds as you get a decent hood. Anyway the engine is RoverV8, but the brake servo is Nissan Micra
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_8125.jpg
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_8126.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_8129.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_8130.jpg
http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_8131.jpg

Last edited by Chris Cussen; 22nd October 2011 at 15:23..
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:58
Enthusiast

Thanks, Chris.
This car is looking very smart.
I see the luggage rack still fits which allays one of Nigel's concerns.
I also noticed the side exhaust exists out the back of the car.

Are those 'side markers' or indicator repeaters on the rear wing?
Old 22nd October 2011, 20:21

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Mark said at the show that they are indicator repeaters. He also said he would not be putting the servo in the middle again. In fact his words were "Never again". I didn't ask why as the subject changed.
Don't like the new hood design having seen it up close, as for the attachments to the window frame with that spring, well would not want that on mine, tacky. Prefer the older design.
Nice seats though.

Nice to have met you Chris
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:07

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road

Nice to meet you too Dennis.

The side of the car was littered with no less than three, yes three, indicator repeaters. Apparently only one was IVA compliant, and it was the one mounted on the rear wheel arch low down.

Mark had problems with IVA emissions as the CAT was not getting hot enough, hence the wrapping around the front of the exhaust system.

I'd agree having seen it up close that the springs didn't look very attractive, though in real life, rather than photos, the hood looked OK. I think the Cabrio hood is much better. You can put it up with even leaving your seat.

That was one advantage of the cabrio/Sportster hybrid. Cabrio tun, hood and screen with sportster wings/front suspension.

Just as well Sandie conferscated my credit cards before I went though, I could have spent a shed load of money!
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:35

denniswpearce is on a distinguished road

Interesting that you mention the exhaust, it had one each side and the nearside one had a big detour route. it exited the mainifold low down facing the back of the car then a U bend to face the front then a right angle bend to exit under the engine to the nearside. If that makes sense. Would have thought that its hardly surprising that the CAT does not get hot enough.
Thought your Cabrio looked really smart out in the car park ( had seen your reg on the MOC web site, so looked out for it ).
I think we all have to keep our hands in our pockets when at these shows, its all so tempting.
Old 23rd October 2011, 16:33
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cussen View Post
The side of the car was littered with no less than three, yes three, indicator repeaters. Apparently only one was IVA compliant, and it was the one mounted on the rear wheel arch low down
I find that very odd - I passed IVA with just the one side repeater, in the usual place on the side of the scuttle. I wonder what made the others non compliant?
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:26
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
I find that very odd - I passed IVA with just the one side repeater, in the usual place on the side of the scuttle. I wonder what made the others non compliant?
I have not had the need to look at the IVA regulations on lighting before but the lighting section looks quite challenging for the traditional roadster Chrome headlamps with integral side bulbs not to mention the rear 'hamburger' style lamps.

I've just had a look at the lighting section and it says the following...
"Each lamp and reflector must be positioned such as to provide an “apparent surface”. At least 50% of the “apparent surface” of each lamp or reflector must be visible from any point within the relevant angles. "
And the relevant side angle is 80 degrees to the centre line of the car!!
As a a guess I reckon about 10% would be visible at that angle.

Maybe Mark had a 'jobsworth' IVA tester that insisted on additional side markers?

I wonder what Mark did about the rear wings?
Old 16th November 2011, 22:36
Enthusiast

Terry has put some new hood pictures on their facebook website....

http://www.facebook.com/marlinsportscars?sk=wall

I like the idea of semi-rigid side screens and also the clip on rear screen, but I reserve judgement on the rest.