Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 16th April 2012, 06:02

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Chris, nothing on the body is square and both sides are not a mirror image so it just needs to look right on your car, don't try to be too perfect! Although you will know all the little bits that are wrong, everyone else will not notice when it is on the road.

So what I did......

1. Check the bulkhead is square with the frame and on the chassis first! Then bond the body onto the frame inside so it is in the position you want and will not move.
2. Use the bulkhead as the datum and try to match both sides so the bonnet shut lines down each side are approximately in the right place. Don't try to be mm perfect.
3. The important thing is the angle of the shut line as this needs to match the bonnet, so I measured about 2" back from the edge and drew a parallel line
4. Draw another parallel line about 3" back from the edge and this will give you 1" as the amount you will cut out. I extended both lines to the top of the body just short of the mould line on the top.

5. I then carried the 2" line from the top of the body to the centre of the body at the top and stopped in the middle. The 3" line then got drawn to meet the 2" line in the middle so you have a wedge shape. This allows you to keep the bonnet line from the middle and basically bend the top part back to meet your new line when you have taken an inch out of the side.
6. I then cut out the band of 1" down the side and moved that section back, pinning it with some little brackets - these were just kitchen unit right angle brackets that were flattened. Remember to leave a 2-3mm gap so you can get some bonding paste in the gap.

7. Cut your wedge out of the top so you can adjust it to meet the new shut line, I used a bracket along the shut line where the two bits meet to keep it all straight.

8. Once you are happy with it all, then whack some bonding paste in and some matting underneath when you can reach. The side will be supported by the paste you put in to close the gap between the bonnet and the bulkhead so that will keep it all solid.

The only thing to bear in mind is that since I have modified the body, I am expecting to have to adjust the bonnet to fit, as I expect it now to be an inch short on the passenger side.

From talking to others and seeing a couple of finished cars, some body's fit better that others and to be honest, I have only noticed the difference from side to side as I and looking for it, no one else will notice it! Make it fit as best you can but don't try and get it perfect as it will start to have a knock on effect with other stuff!

Good luck.

Last edited by tlrtone; 16th April 2012 at 11:02..
Old 16th April 2012, 07:56

cbjroms is on a distinguished road

Tony,

Brilliant explanation - thank you very much for taking the time. Agreed, nothing is true, sqaure or symetrical and that is why I have been scratching my head as regards the best datum to use.

The good news is that you may find that your bonnet is now correct. When I first noticed that the passenger side was 50mm further forward, I tried the bonnet in place (to judge whether one side or both needed to be modified).

On mine, the driver's side bonnet and body shell were almost perfect whereas the passenger side the bonnet was about 50mm further back than the front of the body shell!

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 16th April 2012, 08:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjroms View Post
Tony,

Brilliant explanation - thank you very much for taking the time. Agreed, nothing is true, sqaure or symetrical and that is why I have been scratching my head as regards the best datum to use.

The good news is that you may find that your bonnet is now correct. When I first noticed that the passenger side was 50mm further forward, I tried the bonnet in place (to judge whether one side or both needed to be modified).

On mine, the driver's side bonnet and body shell were almost perfect whereas the passenger side the bonnet was about 50mm further back than the front of the body shell!

Thanks again.

Chris

I have my inspection this Wednesday, so this weekend is all about getting the bits cut off so I can fit the bonnet and tidy up the back. I look forward to my bonnet fitting then!!

I am going to run 15" wheels, and at the moment, the rear wheel arches are a little low and not quite the ideal shape, so I may adjust those. I will wait until it is all together before cutting, but they should be pretty easy by comparison.
Old 17th April 2012, 16:00

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrtone View Post
I have my inspection this Wednesday.............
GETTING NERVOUS YET ?

See you about 9.30....
Old 17th April 2012, 18:16

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Good luck matey, you'll be fine!
Old 17th April 2012, 18:22

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Yes, good luck for tomorrow.
Old 17th April 2012, 20:02

yep, I will be up early and getting it ready!

I put the 13" wheels back on but it is a tad low now so I might put the 15"s on for tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to the unnecessary "bits" falling off tomorrow afternoon
Old 17th April 2012, 20:29

Roadster is on a distinguished road

best of luck Tony
Old 17th April 2012, 21:12

Paul D is on a distinguished road

All the best from us Tony,

We are hoping to follow you very soon, don't forget pictures!

Paul D.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:56

This is a before inspection shot...

An this is during the inspection....

BIG THANKS TO GARY for arranging the inspection

I now have a reborn classic - a 1964 SAMMIO SPYDER

time for some 'bits' to fall off.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:31

davecymru is on a distinguished road

whoo hoo! congrats matey.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:17

garyh is on a distinguished road

So it all went well? It must be such a relief to get it signed off. I would say its the most difficult part of the build!
Old 18th April 2012, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyh View Post
So it all went well? It must be such a relief to get it signed off. I would say its the most difficult part of the build!
Yep, about a 10 minute inspection. So I just wait for the altered log book to arrive in a few weeks time!

ooops, look what "fell off" on the drive....

I'm just having a go at fitting the bonnet in between rain showers...
Old 18th April 2012, 12:42

garyh is on a distinguished road

Are you going for the battered look as well...
Old 18th April 2012, 12:43

not intentionally Gary, although it is growing on me.....
Old 18th April 2012, 12:50

Paul D is on a distinguished road

Excellent news, a well spent ten minutes by the sound of it. Congratulations!

Can't wait for our turn soon.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:57

Nick59 is on a distinguished road

Food for thought!
Do I talk nicely to Gary and try and coincide an inspection with the proposed meet-up....or do I attempt to be the first to go through the inspection at Maidstone....dilema?.....the other problem is I washed the purchase receipt...do you need it for the inspection? (I know..you are meant to launder the money not the recepits)
Old 18th April 2012, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick59 View Post
Food for thought!
Do I talk nicely to Gary and try and coincide an inspection with the proposed meet-up....or do I attempt to be the first to go through the inspection at Maidstone....dilema?.....the other problem is I washed the purchase receipt...do you need it for the inspection? (I know..you are meant to launder the money not the recepits)
Nick, it might be worth having a call to the local Maidstone office first. If they sound receptive to the idea and don't want to make a mountain out of it, it may be more convenient.

That said, a day out to Poole is a small price to pay for a simple, hassle-free inspection, attended by Gary himself to ensure there are no problems.

I would suggest doing the inspection as soon as you can, to get it out of the way and so you can then relax and continue the build! It is not difficult, but a great feeling when it is done!
Old 18th April 2012, 15:17

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Nice one Tony!

Having the ends of the rear outriggers corrode through and drop off the very afternoon after the inspection is an amazing coincidence, it's just lucky it didn't happen a few hours earlier or you'd have had to weld new ones on...

Oh, btw, did you actually need to show them the receipt for your Sammio body? Only mine got turned into a mouse nest when I left it in a box of bits in the garage.
Old 18th April 2012, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Nice one Tony!

Oh, btw, did you actually need to show them the receipt for your Sammio body? Only mine got turned into a mouse nest when I left it in a box of bits in the garage.
No reciept was required. In fact, they have just called me and asked me for the mileage as they forgot to take it They didn't ask for any paperwork, apart from the logbook and the completed form from gary's website, which were given to them when we booked the inspection.

A simple, painless operation....