Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 15th July 2011, 00:44

jmc14 is on a distinguished road
Default Sammio Spyder American builder

Hello All, I made a post on another thread introducing myself recently. I decided to start this thread so that I can add details and pics of my unique build.

I love to build cars and have built several from scratch over the past 10 years. I had decided to build my next project around the suspension and drivetrain from the Mazda Miata. Up until now I have used parts from the Corvette. I build my own design of Space Frame, bolt in the Vette parts and then sculpt my own bodies. I was planning to do the same thing with the Miata parts when I came across Gary's brilliant design.

The Miata is 6inches wider and has a slightly shorter wheelbase than the Sammio. I am building my frame with a 95 inch wheelbase and keeping the stock Miata width. I have ordered a body from Gary. He is widening it and stretching it for me. Thank you very much! Once the mods are done I will ship it here and get started on the project. It will be Oct before I really get started. So, I won't have much to post until then. I have other commitments until then.

I am very excited about this project. Gary's body with Miata parts in a 1400lb package should result in a great looking and driving sports car. I have attached a couple of photoshopped pictures showing what the body will look like when modified. I have decided to go with 1 head fairing.

Thanks for looking I'm checking in here often to see how the other builds are progressing. John

The chassis picture is not one of mine but is similar to the ones I build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg demonfrtsmall.jpg (10.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg demonrearsmall.jpg (10.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg chassissmall.jpg (14.4 KB, 58 views)
Available from eBay
Old 15th July 2011, 05:06

Roadster is on a distinguished road

great job with photoshop
I wish i was talented with digital rendering but for now my design is just in my head.

I am building a very different mx5 based sammio = along the lines of the Stimpson Italia therefore just a rebody. But the mazda is reasonably light and i am looking for an easier build this time.

I will watch your build with interest
Old 15th July 2011, 08:30

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Hi John and welcome.

I do like the rear lights you've planning on using! They're very nice and i think that the classic-looking with a modern twist style that you're going for really suits the car!

I look forward to seeing your progress with great interest.

Dave
Old 17th August 2011, 11:31

Hello Gary, Checking in to see how the widening of my body is going. I have done some more photo shop pictures and I think that the car looks better if I don't lengthen it. In fact I am thinking of shortening it slightly to match the Miata's 89.2 inch wheelbase. Have you started to lengthen the bonnet yet? If not, I probably will just have you widen it and then I'll make changes to the length in the US if I think it's the way to go. I can't wait to get started! Thanks, John
Old 17th August 2011, 14:05

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Hi John , body made but not modified ....
We are starting real soon....I think the stock Mx5 wheelbase is the way to go...

I will update pics here as we go....

You still looking at Sept/Oct ?
Old 17th August 2011, 23:49

Thanks Gary, progress pictures will be great. If we can ship in Oct that would fit my schedule. Let's make it fit the Miata's wheelbase. Maybe of interest to you. The Karmin Ghia is almost the exact width as the Miata. I am thinking that the windshield might be perfect for a coupe or if someone needs real glass to meet regulations in the US. It can be cut down by waterjet for a low speedster screen when the polycarbonate one one pass inspection. I have one in stock so it will be easy to test fit. I know that you are busy. Take care, John
Old 14th September 2011, 13:29

Hello Gary, Checking in to see how you are doing in getting the body widened for the Miata project. I will be ready next month to get started. So, any time that it can ship would be great.

I can see that you are very busy. Like what you are doing. John
Old 4th November 2011, 17:17

Hey Gary, Any pics this week of the body being widened? John