Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 22nd November 2014, 12:16

Midas is on a distinguished road
Default Kitcar research - a future new design?

Hi All,

Im currently doing my final year major project at Uni (Transport Design) , and one of the projects I am doing is designing a kit car for 2025.

I have two Classic Minis, but not a lot of experience with kit cars.
My dad has a Midas Bronze (mini based), which he built 30+ years ago, and is the inspiration for this uni project.

I was wondering if you may be able to answer some of the questions below for the stage, it would be really interesting and useful to get the opinions from current kit car owners / enthusiasts.

Thanks

Sam

1) Whats your opinion on the current kit car industry? wheres it going?

2) What kit car(s) do you currently own, or would like to own?

3) Can a kit car be used as a daily? - how do people get on?

4) What age range and gender are you? (if you don't mind) 20-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, 60+

5) A more versatile practical daily kit car - is this something that appeals?

6) When your car is used - what sort of mileage is done in that time period?

7) What would you like to see on a new kit car?

8) Three words to sum up your kit car expectations
Available from eBay
Old 28th November 2014, 14:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Midas, just noticed your questions and thought I'd offer up some answers as I see them:

1) The kit-car industry has evolved into a number of different strands these last few years, including but not limited to:

Track day specials, think Westfield/Tiger/Caterham;

Performance road cars, Vortex for example;

Replicas/lookalikes of classic (and phenomenally expensive) Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Porsches etc;

Panel kits or rebody of donor chassis/monocoque to give an existing car a different identity, Sammio/Miglia/Tribute, etc.

Obviously there's a fair bit of overlap amongst the different categories, with Tribute, for example, evoking 90% of the looks of the Ferrari 250SWB by changing the panels on a BMW Z3, resulting in a high performance road car (donors with around 200bhp available for under £2k) that could hold its own on the track if you fit the right tyres.

Customers stumping up their cash ultimately drives success/failure for kit-car manufacturers, and the different categories need to pull different strings in the potential buyer's head -

A track day car MUST have the potential to be very fast;

A performance road car MUST look and feel like a high end car from a bespoke manufacturer;

A replica or lookalike MUST look, sound and drive as much like the original as possible;

A panel kit or rebody MUST look fantastic when finished to a good standard and be based upon an easily available donor car that you won't mind chopping about.

2) After three decades of wanting to build a replica Porsche 718 RSK, but never being able to afford (or actually fit inside) one, I own a Sammio Spyder, rather unsubtly disguised as a 1953 Lancia D24 Spyder -

3) I couldn't use my Spyder as a daily driver as it has no roof and you get soaked when it rains. I do plan to build a Tribute 250SWB and use that as a daily driver eventually though.

4) I'm a chap and I'm fifty odd. I'd wanted to build my own car since I was 19 though, and finally got round to starting it when I was 49. I don't think I'm untypical of the builders of the Sammio/Miglia/Marlin/Tribute A352 type kits, but I have noticed that the Tribute MX250 (GTO) tends to attract younger buyers.

5) As I see it, there is no longer a market for everyday road cars based on humble budget mechanicals, like the Midas. That niche was peculiar to the 70's/early 80's and appealed to those who wanted to build a new budget car out of a rusty old clunker in the days when even mediocre second-hand cars were seriously expensive and everything rusted to dust before its tenth birthday. These days a decade old focus would be a far cheaper option for that category of buyer. Also bear in mind how expensive proper Minis have become in their own right if you were thinking of using them as a donor. If you do want to offer a practical, everyday kit car, make it look like a 1950's or 1960's Ferrari, Maserati or similarly exotic coupe or convertible and you'll definitely find a market.

6) I've covered about four thousand miles in 17 months on the road, including two trips to Goodwood Revival (from Norfolk) racking up over 500 miles on each visit.

7) Any design that looks drop-dead gorgeous, either an homage to something classic or a unique design (very hard to pull off) will always catch my eye.

8). Stunning, buildable affordable.

Oh, and avoid IVA requirement if you can as it's the kiss of death as far as a lot of us kit-car builders are concerned.

Good luck at Uni!

Last edited by Mister Towed; 29th November 2014 at 08:39..
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:13

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Just a bit of a left-field thought for your project, a retro styled ZEV could have quite an impact and be a practical, everyday vehicle for Townie Folk.

Something along the lines of a 356 Speedster body planted on a purpose built chassis and powered by an electric motor would fit the bill -

http://www.evsource.com/tls_warp9.php

Would be quick too.

I'd be looking for a way to incorporate on-board charging for range extension (as I live in the middle of nowhere), a small generator to kick in at 50% battery power perhaps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-7-kVA-Ho...item27e318ea48

Last edited by Mister Towed; 2nd December 2014 at 08:16..