Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 14th May 2009, 10:08

Chris Cussen is on a distinguished road
Angry IVA Saga

Hi, though I'd let you all know how my IVA attempt was going. I sent off my application last week and on Tuesday parted with £450.
Today I got a phone call saying I had not provided sufficent documentation to demonstrate the vehicle was self built as an ameteur.
With the application I had sent copies of the original invoice from Marlin, V55 copy from the donor, self build ameteur declaration form and 8 photos showing the Sierria being dismantled and the Marlin in various stages of build.
Apparantly this is not sufficient to convince the technical panel that I built it myself.
Well I've got a few more receipts and photos, but I'm not sure if there is sufficient stuff to convince them I did the work.
And how can you prove you did it unless you video the whole thing? I pointed out the background of the photos showed a resdential garage, but that did not wash either.
Rant over. I'll let you know what happens next
Available from eBay
Old 14th May 2009, 10:15
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Have you got any more photos of the build? If so, flood them with pics...

I plan on sending every photo I have when I put my application in. Which is a lot.
Old 14th May 2009, 10:16

chrislandy is on a distinguished road

I had this with my SVA, send them multiple photos and receipts of various stages of the build, get on the phone talk to them nicely (get one contact and keep talking to that one) and most improtantly offer to talk them through any part of the build and ask them what other evidence they require - they did accept emailed digital photos and scanned receipts but not 'linked' photos - mine took 4 weeks to get approved, multiple phone calls and a few hangs up of the phone so I wouldn't say anything detrimental - eventually I think they got peeved off with me phoning and ranting at them for 4 weeks and they signed it off! lol
Old 14th May 2009, 10:18

also, make sure on the ABD you have ticked the "myself and others (non trade)" box as I don't think they believe you when you say you have done everything yourself, by yourself
Old 14th May 2009, 10:27

I'm going to send them a copy of every receipt Ii have plus all the photos.

I'm thinking of getting my wife to sign a letter too saying I've spent a large part of the last 7 years in the garage on my own!
Old 14th May 2009, 11:17
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

With the whole DVLA process, it's the luck of the draw who you get. You will get this from applying for IVA, the IVA test itself and the registration.

I give you an example. I know of a car that passed the application for the SVA by using photos of another car being built as they did not take any. And was accepted.

Better luck for the test.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:46
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road

Chris

I think you have just had bad luck.

For my SVA application I sent them my purchase receipt from the original builder showing I had title to the part built chassis and kit plus donor vehicle. I also sent about 25 printed pictures of the build process with captions such as installing engine, wiring car etc. With this I sent receipts for all the major items, kit stage purchases from Marlin, Wheels, Loom, etc.. and a copy of the donor V55. In my case the donor was actually supplied to the original kit owner as a pallatised service so I had no pictures of the donor being dismantled.

Thay didn't question any of it and just allocated a test date as amauter built.

I think the message here is VOSA consistency or more to the point a complete lack of it!!

The answer is there isn't one, try sending a rabbits foot for good luck!!

John
Old 14th May 2009, 11:46
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cussen View Post
Hi, though I'd let you all know how my IVA attempt was going. I sent off my application last week and on Tuesday parted with £450.
Today I got a phone call saying I had not provided sufficent documentation to demonstrate the vehicle was self built as an ameteur.
Perhaps you should ask them what sufficient documentation is?

Robin
Old 14th May 2009, 11:47
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

[With the application I had sent copies of the original invoice from Marlin, V55 copy from the donor, self build ameteur declaration form and 8 photos showing the Sierria being dismantled and the Marlin in various stages of build.
Apparantly this is not sufficient to convince the technical panel that I built it myself.
[/QUOTE]
Chris
Are you building a Cabrio or Sportster?
Mike
Old 14th May 2009, 12:16

Mike, its a Cabrio
Chris
Old 14th May 2009, 17:17
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I even sent them my namrik invoice with nuts and bolts on I think they may have gotten bored and OK'd it I supplied about 20 photos of the build including some from pulling the donor to bits.
Old 29th May 2009, 07:37

Well I sent off photocopies of every reciept I had, and every photo taken during the build, plus a letter affirming I had built it myself. My wife also wrote a letter saying she had seen me build it on my own and would be pleased when I did not spend so much time in the garage.

As such I didn't realy provide anymore evidence I had built it than the original pack, but to my surprise I got a phonecall from VOSA Taunton yesterday to arrange an appointment. Apparently I will the only the second vehicle to do IVA there. I wanted a PM appointment but they are not sure how long it will take so it has to be early AM

So the date is set, 8:00 Monday 27th July.

Dare I risk the 40 mile drive? Its has been up and down the road (leagally of course as it was going to an MOT) but no further than a couple of miles overall.
Old 29th May 2009, 07:50

trailer it if I were you, I personally wouldn't take the chance of missing the test because something fails on the way to the test! mine was an 80 mile trip each way so I was glad I had trailered mine when the engine blew after 10 miles of track use!
Old 29th May 2009, 09:19
Enthusiast

cabrioman is on a distinguished road
Default well done

Well done Chris, crazy and frustrating saga but at least now you can concentrate on the final tweaks for the IVA, best of luck with it.

John
Old 29th May 2009, 10:28
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Good luck, Chris.
My IVA is 17th July at Taunton so will let you know how it goes....
I made a big mistake not trailering my Sportster 50 miles down to the SVA (loose prop shaft bolt and brakes overheating meant I finished 200yds from the test centre). I think this time (never one to give up on driving it if possible) I will get a friend to follow me with a tow rope
Tim
Old 29th May 2009, 10:35

Driving down does seem a risk, but very tempting. I might get my son to follow me with a rope, leave early and take all my tools.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:26
Enthusiast

limpabit is on a distinguished road

I drove mine down to the SVA centre 40 miles away.

After a pre "MOT" and numerous drives around the estate sorting out the driveshafts popping.

Felt rwally good actually drive it there. Even got pulled by the police. But I had all the paperwork, insurance etc with me.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:44
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

I had an MOT done locally then drove to the test centre which was not too far off. Glad I did the MOT as they found one or two bolts that I'd not done up properly. If I was any further away from the test centre I probably would have trailered it.

I took loads of tools in a back up car. Which was good as my shifter linkage fell out on the way back - and that was an OE BM part
Old 30th May 2009, 08:16

The car has been through an MOT, first time it failed on lights beam pattern, two loose seat belt bolts and it ran out of water in the screen wash
Old 31st May 2009, 18:24
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I was going to trailer mine - I had about a 50 mile round trip. But in the end I drove there and I am glad I did. In any case if the car can't make it being driven there what is the chance it will pass the IVA? They do some quite horrible things - like running it up to 70 mph on the rolling road and the emergency brake test.

I did mine with out any "support vehicle". But if you can arrange one it would be better. You can carry a lot of tools in the back of the average tin box.

If you don't drive it there you will have to wait until it is fully registered to give it a blast. Even if you pass first time that might still then be a number of weeks away. Think of it - sat there in the garage SVA'd (IVA'd) and you still haven't driven it for any distance...

Robin