Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 12th March 2011, 16:38

patoune is on a distinguished road

Just waiting to fit the wire wheels...

Old 13th March 2011, 19:07

Red face

Nearly to be finished !

Old 14th March 2011, 16:43

just a little test...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4B4oRQ0hqY
Old 15th March 2011, 18:37

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Excellent work Patrice ,

Your wire wheels will be packaged tomorrow and sent out - I have a few dashboards etc to go out at same time...

I quite like the painted steel wheels - shame they aren't a fraction bigger.

I'm actually playing with some '65 Beetle rims and adaptors at the moment to try and create a fake ''Rudge style'' knock on steel ( think 50's Gullwing Mercedes ) that I want to use on a car to get away from the wires for a change....The Dunlop style steels from D-types and similar are cool too , but expensive - later Beetle wheels could be dressed to look similar though !!
Old 16th March 2011, 05:24

tooslow is on a distinguished road
Default Just found this build

I have been out of the country for a good few years and now I am back I was trawling through some of my old websites and came across this build.
I am fascinated by this one and very interested how it all fits together. as I may buy one when I get in to my new place in the summer. the price is right up my street.

I prefer the older Porsche style front end but I would like a vitesse chassis can it be made to fit easy enough? and it would have to be silver, or Renault Clio Sport Yellow like the picture I photo-shopped

DSCF0131 by mbradl12, on Flickr

Obviously stripping the Herald/Vitesse is OK, but the build up I am interested in,
I have a few questions if I may
Is there any instructions I could look at?

Obviously the frame is bolted to the Chassis but what about at the bulkhead? welded or bolted?

Also how is the body bonded /glassed to the frame and also to the wooden floor pans

Web site say you can unbolt the whole body off the chassis when fully built. I guess it is quite strong when fully built.

I suppose pictures of building the frame on to the chassis and bonding the body to frame is too much to ask? I love pictures.

Sorry, rambling I'll stop for now
Martin
Old 16th March 2011, 08:30

Patton is on a distinguished road
Default Wheels

I've just tried the 15 inch MGF wheels (minilite style) low profile tyres, on my build they fit a treat just may need a spacer on the rear because of the offset but the minor mods that are required for the 14inch wires will do the job.....PAT (in devon)
Old 16th March 2011, 08:32

Patton is on a distinguished road
Default Colour

I'm planing on bright yellow (citreon saxo).....Pat
Old 16th March 2011, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post

I prefer the older Porsche style front end but I would like a vitesse chassis can it be made to fit easy enough? and it would have to be silver, or Renault Clio Sport Yellow like the picture I photo-shoppe

Obviously stripping the Herald/Vitesse is OK, but the build up I am interested in,
I have a few questions if I may
Is there any instructions I could look at?

Obviously the frame is bolted to the Chassis but what about at the bulkhead? welded or bolted?

Also how is the body bonded /glassed to the frame and also to the wooden floor pans

Web site say you can unbolt the whole body off the chassis when fully built. I guess it is quite strong when fully built.

I suppose pictures of building the frame on to the chassis and bonding the body to frame is too much to ask? I love pictures.

Sorry, rambling I'll stop for now
Martin
Hi Martin , firstly - if you email me via the website I can sort some pics out for you and give you some comprehensive answers ...I'll do the quick version here ...

The original front won't fit the Vitesse without serious bulges.

No instructions but plenty of pics available with comments.

The body is bonded to the frame and bulkhead with glass fibre and/or silicons etc...the metal frame bolts to the bulkhead but could be welded in place if preferred.

The body is bonded to the frame with bonding paste and/or strips of glassfibre attached like bandages. The body is fibreglassed to the wooden floor in a similar manner. Its very strong when all mated together.

Thank you
Old 17th March 2011, 01:05

I have sent a mail via the link in the web site
Old 20th March 2011, 11:47

Thank you - I have replied...

Complete Kit Car Magazine this month has some very good Sammio pics in it for you picture collectors out there !!
Old 2nd April 2011, 16:06

Hi,
I have been corresponding with a guy in Detroit who is trying to put a package of kits together to be shipped to the U.S.
He isn't attempting to profit from the deal - both he and a buddy of his want a kit and bringing a few in would keep their expenses down....

We reckon we can get 6 in a 20' container.

I have passed him emails from a Canadian and a fellow American who have approached me and he has some positive leads through his forum of choice ( GRASS ROOTS MOTORSPORT , GRM ).

I thought I would post this up on here in case any Stateside interest is being researched through this thread...Obviously , if we can get something going , thats good news for me on a financial level as well as an exposure level and good news for the buyers too !!

I have agreed to trim the kit price down for a bulk order - not much to trim off , but it all helps !

If anyone wants David's contact details , please email me direct on info@sammio-spyder.com for that info...

THANK YOU
Old 7th April 2011, 12:06

Vera is on a distinguished road
Default Very excited!!!

Hi all...

I'm new to the forum too, and I too am very excited about building my Spyder.

The Herald chassis and engine refurb is going great, I have a massive pile of shiny new bits in the garage just waiting for the chassis to be painted.

Even more exciting is picking my body (and more shiny bits) up from Poole this Saturday (9th)!!!!!!!!!!

I'll post some pics of the build as I go alone.
Old 10th April 2011, 21:49

Vera is on a distinguished road

along.....

Picking the body up Next weekend instead, but that gives me more time to prep the chassis.....
Old 13th April 2011, 11:41

CUSTOMERS CAR FINISHED AND GOING OUT TOMORROW...FEW CHANGES FROM NORM....THE REAR WINGS HAVE BEEN 'FATTENED' UP A BIT DUE TO TAIL LIGHT CHOICES ( THINK D-TYPE ! )

Old 13th April 2011, 16:53

Nice car !
Old 13th April 2011, 18:31

That looks one nice car, even if the picture is a bit 'Spotty'

Looks like you guys do some excellent work.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:25

PaulC is on a distinguished road

Watching all this with interest. I've not forgotten, just hunting for the right donor.
Old 20th April 2011, 19:53

Scimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Yes? Am I right?

Am I right that de Scimitar donor is being prepared? Is the work on a Scimbased Sammio really starting to happen? There is an early SE5 up for parts on the Scimitarweb... Seller is someone called "Sammio"... Coincidence?

Gr.,
Scimmy
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimmy View Post
Am I right that de Scimitar donor is being prepared? Is the work on a Scimbased Sammio really starting to happen? There is an early SE5 up for parts on the Scimitarweb... Seller is someone called "Sammio"... Coincidence?

Gr.,
Scimmy
Hi,
We have started shaping up a body for an SE5 , yes....its early days to know exactly how its going to come out - I have a picture in my head but things can change !
Think Ferrari 410 sports spyder meets Sammio Spyder ...add a bit of Porsche 550 spyder and a bit of poetic licence and we are nearly there !! ( lots of spyders! )

Heres a taster - bit tricky to see and looks a real mess right now , but will evolve over the next couple of months...

Getting lots of help this time round from my sidekick , Mike Hughes , who is as passionate for this style as I am and has a natural eye and flair for what we are trying to create...

I don't want to replicate anything , simply take influence from various sources and see where we end up !

Same process as the Sammio which has evolved over the last few years to where it is now....

Last edited by lancelot link; 22nd April 2011 at 18:54..
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:36

Scimmy is on a distinguished road

Yes! I can't wait! If it's going to be nearly as good looking as the existing Sammio has become, I'm definitely in for a body and frame! I'll start chopping up my Scimitar and deciding on a colorscheme... Keep up the good work, I'll be following the evolution closely!

Gr.,
Scimmy