Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 19th July 2012, 20:43

HamburgerJung is on a distinguished road
Default sammio spyder for Germany

Hello to all,

first excuse my english. It is the rest of 8 years of school english.

A few days ago I found a picture of a sammio spyder. It looks wonderfull a great car rembering the desing of the 50s. Coming to my question: Is here anyone having experience in registration a sammio spyder in germany?
who is the declared as the manufacturer in the registration documents. Can a sammio be registrated as a triumph herald?

Thanks for your answers
Available from eBay
Old 19th July 2012, 20:53

GazDavies is on a distinguished road

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/foru...ead.php?t=3552

Im not sure how you would go about registering a sammio in Germany if you are building it over there but if its registered in the UK first then it seems exporting it to germany is not a problem.
Old 23rd July 2012, 07:37

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Alternatively, just keep it registered in the UK. So long as it's insured and kept roadworthy the European Union allows vehicles to be used cross-border for twelve months before they need to be registered in the new country. So long as it returns to its country of origin for at least one day the twelve months commences again on its return. Just make an annual pilgramage across the channel to have the MOT refreshed, pop into the nearest Post Office for a tax disc and Voila! no need for German registration or TUV inspection. Do please check with your local Police, but that's how it works in practice over here, with thousands of East European registered cars rattling round our roads. Most of those don't even bother going back to their home countries for the obligatory day, but there's no way we can prove that so they just keep their original registration status indefinitely. Good luck whichever way you decide to tackle the issue.
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha View Post
watching some sammio sales in UK i have found out that some are still registered as "triumph" (no idea if the body type has ben changed in the V5 to sports, special or convertible) otheres are "correctly" registered as sammio. in both cases the date of 1st reg. in the V5c remained from the donor car.

but now it comes to the german registration laws:

if its registered as sammio its "theoretically" not possible that the car has an older reg.-date as the company sammio does exist around 2 years. so the german TÜV (MOT) might say "NO"

if its registered as Triuimph Herlad the german MOT will ask you: does this car look like a Herlad....the answer is clear: "No"...so the Tüv also might say NO.

if its registered as Triumph Special, or Triumph Sammio, incl. the correct body type (sports, convertible) the german TÜV might say "YES"...but he will ask you "can you prove that the body change is a contemporary body-conversion done at least in the first ten years after the date of 1st registration or latest 20yago"...the answer is also clear-->NO.

there is sure a way to find a TÜV tester who might find a solution using his discretion....but it might be a hard way.

there are also certain dealers in germany specialized in kitcar registrations...it might be better to pay one of those, instead.
Does anybody know on what the registration as a Triumph special or a sammio depends? Maybe how the body is fixed on the chassis? If the car is registered as Triumph special an not as a sammio there will be a chance for a registration in Germany.

Last edited by HamburgerJung; 23rd July 2012 at 21:13..
Old 3rd August 2012, 02:49

frankenstang57 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Colorado! I walk into the DMV (dept of motor vehicles) and present them with a Triumph Herald title. I tell them what color it is, buy collector tags (good for 5 years) and walk out the door.

Then of course, one needs to place a Triumph badge over the crappy generic old car in the center and yer' stylin'.

Old 4th August 2012, 08:16

seems to be god concept. Maybe Colorado is a little bit to far away from Hamburg

Greetings from the best town of the world ( HH)
Old 4th August 2012, 08:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstang57 View Post
Yeah, Colorado! I walk into the DMV (dept of motor vehicles) and present them with a Triumph Herald title. I tell them what color it is, buy collector tags (good for 5 years) and walk out the door.

Then of course, one needs to place a Triumph badge over the crappy generic old car in the center and yer' stylin'.

That sounds really simple. Almost as easy as buying a handgun...
Old 5th August 2012, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
That sounds really simple. Almost as easy as buying a handgun...
Nah, the DMV can have a wait of up to two hours on busy days. A real pain in the neck IMHO. My best friend growing up has an FFL, all I need to do is make a phone call.
Old 5th August 2012, 07:52

I take it Patty and Selma still work at the DMV then?
Old 5th August 2012, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
I take it Patty and Selma still work at the DMV then?
LOL. They probably still do. But since I don't live in Oregon I can't tell you for sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1416121.html