Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 5th June 2010, 19:24
Enthusiast

GreatOldOne is on a distinguished road

Peter - when I had my pre-IVA MOT, they didn't put mine on the rollers either. They asked me if I had an LSD fitted, and when I said yes, they said they wouldn't put on as it could 'wind up the diff'

They tested the brakes by using a weighted gizmo that they sat in the passenger footwell, and ran the car up and down the road outside the test centre.
Old 14th June 2010, 20:39
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Failed Indicators :-(

I took the Sportster on a trip down to Henfield near Brighton. On the way there, my turn indicators packed up completely. The Hazard switch worked OK but nothing from the indicator switch? I investigated the fault tonight and found this break inside the indicator flasher unit. (I'm using 'old skool' flasher units because of the type of swich I used.)

It was a cheap (and nasty) one bought in Halfords. I'll get a pucker Lucas one to replace it! Hoefully it will last longer than 1700 miles I got out of this one.

Apart from that, we had a good day out and using hand signals on the M25 comming back was a laugh!

I still find the front wings 'bobbling about' a bit distracting and worrying. I've been wondering if an additional short stay from the top ball joint to the inner edge of the wing would help?

...peter
Old 15th June 2010, 12:37
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
I still find the front wings 'bobbling about' a bit distracting and worrying. I've been wondering if an additional short stay from the top ball joint to the inner edge of the wing would help?

...peter
Me too.... I went down a huge pothole Sunday on the way back from a local show and I half expected the wing to come off. It didn't but I was probably watching it more than the road that I should have been watching afterwards...

I was also wondering about an additional stay from the top ball joint fixing. I think it would have to fix to the undersde of the wing though for strength. It would probably have to be adjustable in some way as well. It would certainly stop the wing from bouncing arround quite so much and hopefully take some of the strain off that single weld on the plate that bolts to the strut.

Perhaps we need to undertake a design study.... (Anything to get out of the DIY jobs that have been lined up for me to do)

Robin
Old 15th June 2010, 22:18
Enthusiast

Good idea!
Should it be rigid or slightly compliant to absorb/dampen the vibration?
Flat strip or round rod, like the other stays?
Steel or polished stainless?

Is anyone else suffering 'bobbling wings' or is it just me and Robin?

...peter
Old 15th June 2010, 22:38
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

mine vibrate more than the bob about despite being a lot lighter than the stock ones.
Old 16th June 2010, 07:41
Enthusiast

I have been doing a survey of what other cars (mainly 7 style) use. Most of them use a fairly large diameter (20mm) round section stay which must be a tube or it would be too heavy. The larger the diameter, the stiffer it is. I am sure that's why Marlin temporarily used tubes for our cars - they just didn't take into consideration the weak point where it is welded to the mounting plate. So I reckon the 3rd stay should preferably be a tube for stiffness (and weight).

Robin
Old 16th June 2010, 07:50
Enthusiast

Mine vibrate.

I think I posted this in the wrong thread before, but here it is again. My idea for some 'bolt on' attachments for the e30 hub. It would need modifying, but I have no idea how feasible it would be to drill holes in the upright, considering the loads / stresses going through it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hub.jpg (70.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 20th June 2010, 06:35
Enthusiast

I've got some decent quality replacements for my flasher units. The original's where bought from Halfrauds and were very low quality. If using this type of flashers on your Sportster build make sure you buy ones that are capable of handling front, rear, side repeaters and the dashboard lamps. The original BL flashers where only designed for 2x21W lamps and one dashboard light.

Also, I finally got some decent hub-centric rear wheel spacers. These are superb quality H&R's to replace some low cost temporary ones first fitted when I first built the car.

So now you all know what i'm doing today...
Old 20th June 2010, 08:05
Enthusiast

Looks like a nice day to be in the garage - weather doesn't look good over here...

Where did you get your heavy duty flashers from? I think mine are only rated for 4 x 21w.
Old 20th June 2010, 17:56
Enthusiast

timbo is on a distinguished road

Going back to the bobbling wings problem, which I have also pondered, is it at least partially due to the fact that the two stays can twist in relation to each other from the vibration, which is why the wings bobble??
If so, a possible solution (which is probably easier on the E36 hubs) would be a third bar, curved slightly and mounted approx horizontally, joining the other two bars and secured in the middle?
Or would this not cure the problem???
Tim
Old 20th June 2010, 21:01

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Peter

Those spacers look just the job and when I eventually get there I would like to get the same make. Can you advise what thicknesses you are using and where you bought them from.

Thanks, Sorton
Old 21st June 2010, 11:17
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Looks like a nice day to be in the garage - weather doesn't look good over here...

Where did you get your heavy duty flashers from? I think mine are only rated for 4 x 21w.
Hi Jason,
I got them both from this guy on ebay....
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/OLD-SKOOL-M...TS-01213567546

...peter
Old 21st June 2010, 15:59
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Those are nice spacers, got H&R ones for mine too. I'm using 3cm per side at the mo but I think I could have gone to 3.5cm per side. All depends on your wheel offset and width
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:42
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Going back to the bobbling wings problem, which I have also pondered, is it at least partially due to the fact that the two stays can twist in relation to each other from the vibration, which is why the wings bobble??
If so, a possible solution (which is probably easier on the E36 hubs) would be a third bar, curved slightly and mounted approx horizontally, joining the other two bars and secured in the middle?
Tim
I think the main problem is that the stays simply aren't stiff enough. Most of the "7" lookalikes use larger section hollow tube which is much stiffer. Marlin tried this but due to the limited options for mounting on the E30 the welds failed. I think larger hollow stays with an alternative mounting arrangement would be the answer...

Robin
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:34
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorton View Post
Peter

Those spacers look just the job and when I eventually get there I would like to get the same make. Can you advise what thicknesses you are using and where you bought them from.

Thanks, Sorton
Hi Sorton,
the ones I got are 30mm thick because my wheels have a ET35mm offset which really is too much.
I bought my new spacers direct from this company in Germany..
http://www.orange-tuning.de/shop/ind...BP&language=en

If you've not got your wheels yet, you're better going for some with an ET of about ET 25 and then you won't need any spacers at the front and about 20mm spacers at the back (which are easier to find and cheaper).

...peter
Old 26th June 2010, 10:22
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
I have been doing a survey of what other cars (mainly 7 style) use. Most of them use a fairly large diameter (20mm) round section stay which must be a tube or it would be too heavy. The larger the diameter, the stiffer it is. I am sure that's why Marlin temporarily used tubes for our cars - they just didn't take into consideration the weak point where it is welded to the mounting plate. So I reckon the 3rd stay should preferably be a tube for stiffness (and weight).

Robin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOldOne View Post
Mine vibrate.

I think I posted this in the wrong thread before, but here it is again. My idea for some 'bolt on' attachments for the e30 hub. It would need modifying, but I have no idea how feasible it would be to drill holes in the upright, considering the loads / stresses going through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo View Post
Tim
Googling (as you do) for other sources of stone protection led me to the locost builders forum and this thread regarding breaking wing stays:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthre...ibmessage=none

Quote:
My Locost has clamshells but the 2CV special has metal cycle wings (trailer) and book style stays. They used to break regularly, always next to the weld in the heat-affected-zone.

I changed the stays to bent square tube with no welds and no further failures. I used 12.5 mm square 16 gauge box - bugger to bend but worth it in the end
I don't thing that square box would look right on the sportster, but a similar thing could be done with round tube - form both the upper and lower stay from one long continuous length of tube, and then bolt that onto the "super clamps" we all have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wingstay.jpg (63.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by GreatOldOne; 26th June 2010 at 13:04.. Reason: Adding attachment
Old 26th June 2010, 11:19

Sorton is on a distinguished road

Peter
Thanks for the link. Low ET wheels seem hard to find but whatever I eventually end up with I now know where to find proper spacers.
Sorton
Old 20th September 2010, 12:33
Enthusiast

We made a round trip of 300 miles to the Goodwood Revival this weekend. (OK so we made a stopover in a hotel about 2/3rds of the way there).

Sportster ran without any problems other than the airfilter coming loose! And that includes 90mins "parked" on the M25 on the way there - temperature gauge just sat in the middle. Even returned a good MPG!

Goodwood Revival is absolutely amazing! There is so much to see and do it's impossible to fit into 1 day. We went Saturday (also known as Ladies day...) I can't recommend it enough for anyone even vaguely interested in cars, motorsport or even 1960's fashion. Even my wife enjoyed it. I shall be going back next year if at all possible.

Robin
Old 20th September 2010, 21:10
Enthusiast

Hi Robin,
sounds like you had a good run and weekend out.

But we need some pictures!!!!!

regards

Peter
Old 21st September 2010, 07:55
Enthusiast

Unfortunately not many pictures. There were so many people there (sell out 64,000) it was very difficult to get any clear shots. Still I have a few - I will post them up at the weekend.

I saw the Alfa's - but they were in a part of the paddock that was VIP's only so wasn't able to get close enough for pictures. They were accompanied by Bugatti's, Maseratti's - just about everything from that era. Literally 100's of millions of pounds worth of machinery in a few 10's of square metres.

Awesome....

Robin