Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:11

mcramsay is on a distinguished road
Default marlin door fitting help

hey guys, i have had my marlin sportster kit for around 3 weeks now, and i am well in the swing of building. a little about me and my car first! My name is craig and im 25, i work as a mechanical technician on a nuclear powerstation in southwest england, the marlin is my second kit car, my first was a GBSC ZERO i started when i was 20, and passed IVA in 2012, i sold that kit at a huge loss to fund building a marlin sportster!

my car is based on the e39 5 series rear axle sub-frame assembly, with e 36 front struts and i plan on fitting the s50b32 3.2 evo engine, which i believe i will be amount a hand full of people to have used this engine!

currently i have have the majority of the front suspension fitted, the rear subframe, pedal box and fuel tank fitted. i started playing around with the doors today as i am currently waiting on other parts and i cant seem to make things fit too well so i was hoping to get some advice before i go cutting panels and making mistakes!

basically i have followed the marlin manual and used 3mm plywood as a spacer on the bottom sill of the door, but it is the drivers side A panel louvred cover that does not line up so well.

the passenger side seems ok :

the top gap between the door and the lower edge of the A panel cover is fairly consistant and i can trim the panel to achieve a parallel gap of around 3mm either side.

however on the drivers side its a different story

as you can see the front corner of the door fits ok, but the gap gets progessivley bigger the further back towards the door you go:

however i am able to pull the scuttle down by hand to achieve the gap:
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/mcr...tml?sort=3&o=7

its almost like the rail the scuttle sits on is slightly twisted.

i can also achieve the correct gap by tilting the door up at the striker pin end, however this then leaves a massive gap between the bottom of the door and chassis sill :

all the hinges are welded onto the doors, and the chassis has the holes drilled already to accept the hinges, although the holes do allow a lot of ajustment.

i tried adding a few washers under the front scuttle securing nut to effectivley push the back of the scuttle down further which brought the gaps much more even, but then left a big gap on the front scuttle to the bulk head!

does any one have any advice onthis?
Available from eBay