Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 19th March 2012, 20:51
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Self cancelling Turn Indicator Switch (e30)

I'm using the BMW (e30) donor turn indicator stalk switch but I've never managed to get it to self cancel properly.
My steering wheel boss has the 'prong' that should flick the indicator switch off after you've gone round the corner but I've never managed to get it to work.

I have taken the switch off and it seems to be fine. I have a spare, so will try changing it but I'm not convinced that this will fix it at the moment.

This is the inside of my steering wheel hub and shows the cancelling 'prong' but it was long ago that I ditched the steering wheel so I don't have a reference to measure up.

Steeering Wheel Hub by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I even tried glueing extra bits on the 'prong' but still no luck.
Of course, once the hub is re-fitted you cant see what's going on inside

Anybody else had this kind of issue?
Available from eBay
Old 19th March 2012, 20:57
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Mine works but not always, my theory is that its due to the different turning circle on the Sportster. Inside of the boss looks just like yours.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:31
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Mine works but not always, my theory is that its due to the different turning circle on the Sportster.
Thanks, Patrick, interesting theory, I think I know what you mean.
I wish I had kept my old s/wheel as that would prove this theory.

Anybody else got theirs to work properly?
Old 19th March 2012, 22:25

Grey V8 Pete is on a distinguished road

Hi Peter. Most self cancelling devices employ a cam lever "finger" that sticks out a bit when the switch is operated for either right or left turn indication. Once the steering wheel is turned to go around the corner the finger drops off the end of the prong and on returning the wheel to the straight ahead position the prong catches the finger and flips the switch back to the off position. For this to work correctly you need to be sure that when the road wheels are pointing straight ahead that the steering wheel prong is exactly opposite the centre of the prong. Then check that the steering wheel is also in the "straight ahead position. It seems from the photo that you don’t have a large “timing” spline in your boss so maybe the boss is incorrectly aligned on the steering shaft? Not sure what actual steering wheel you have but if it is like the Motalita ones with the spoke assembly attached to the hub with several bolts it may be that you need to remove these and refit the wheel correctly aligned when all the above things are facing straight ahead.
Incorrect toe in adjustment when the tie rods are set at different lengths (with the toe apparently correct) will also affect steering wheel alignment. Hope this helps. Peter.
Old 20th March 2012, 07:57
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Mine did work OK. But then I had to pack out the steering wheel bush with a thick washer due to it just fouling the dash. Now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think the prong on the bush is now just missing the finger on the indicator switch.

Robin
Old 20th March 2012, 21:31
Enthusiast

Thanks to Pete and Robin for the feedback.
I'm pretty sure my problem isn't an alignment issue but Robins feedback suggests that it is the very end tip of the boss 'prong' that is used. I think my 'prong' is not connecting with the little finger that sticks out from the switch.
I don't have any washers under my steering boss but I will try raising the switch with a couple of washers under its mounting screws to see if that helps (assuming that this doesn't cause a problem with the cowling).
I've wired up my spare switch tonight so I can try swap that as well.