Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Sammio Builds and discussions

Sammio Builds and discussions Sammio bodied car builds and specials

Old 22nd August 2012, 14:42

mas123mas is on a distinguished road
Default Wanted Vitesse or Herald Plus Sammio Advice Wanted

Hi All

Do any of you know if there are any herald or vitesse donor cars in the North East of England.

Just looking for a good tax exempt chassis with V5C.

Got a 6 cylinder sorted already then I will commit to buy.

The Sammio
Wish List
Lancia style (will it need a bulge in the bonnet for the Straight 6 with OD)
Twin Head Bulges
Centre Bar
Wrap round dash
Wrap round screen

Also is it just me and my connect or is the Sammio website down.

Please help

Mike
mas123mas
Available from eBay
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:54

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike.
Its just you. Website is working fine,
Cheers pops
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike, welcome aboard.

Can't help you with the donor I'm afraid, but they crop up on ebay regularly so it shouldn't take you too long to find one.

As for the need for a bonnet scoop or bulge with the straight six engine, there's a strong possibility you'll need one to clear the thermostat housing. Phil J (who's built two of these already and lives just up the road from me) had to put scoops on both of them, while a trial fit of my bonnet shows that it just fouls so I'll need to add something for clearance. No big deal though, I'll just cut a hole in the bonnet and fabricate something suitable - I saved the plastic packaging from one of my son's Easter eggs to use as a template for a fibreglass bulge! Should add even more character to an already great looking car.

Best of British finding that donor.
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:40

Not sure how far you are from Hawick?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWO-TRIUMP...item337b106ab1
Old 22nd August 2012, 22:58

Thanks Pops

I am in Vietnam at the moment and there is load of UK website blocked for some reason.

Will sort when I return.

Regards Mike
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:36

Hi Mister Towed

Thank you, I have been looking at this it is about a 200 mile round trip for each of the cars, so I may just wait not sure yet.

Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Hi Mike, welcome aboard.

Can't help you with the donor I'm afraid, but they crop up on ebay regularly so it shouldn't take you too long to find one.

As for the need for a bonnet scoop or bulge with the straight six engine, there's a strong possibility you'll need one to clear the thermostat housing. Phil J (who's built two of these already and lives just up the road from me) had to put scoops on both of them, while a trial fit of my bonnet shows that it just fouls so I'll need to add something for clearance. No big deal though, I'll just cut a hole in the bonnet and fabricate something suitable - I saved the plastic packaging from one of my son's Easter eggs to use as a template for a fibreglass bulge! Should add even more character to an already great looking car.

Best of British finding that donor.
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:44

Cheers Mike. I was in 'Nam once. Still get the cold sweats and the 'wokka wokka wokka' noises in my head...
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:29

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was in 'Nam once.
Cheltenham?

Old 23rd August 2012, 11:06

No, Birminam.
Old 25th August 2012, 04:02

Right, got a Herald 13/60 but now I don't want to break, as I think it is restorable, so I have also bought another rolling chassis b(with V5C) and 13/60engine plus a 2 litre with overdrive.

The ONLY problem now is the bulkhead or lack of. Does anyone know or have one in the North East of England.
Old 25th August 2012, 06:24

Psycho pops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas123mas View Post
Right, got a Herald 13/60 but now I don't want to break, as I think it is restorable, so I have also bought another rolling chassis b(with V5C) and 13/60engine plus a 2 litre with overdrive.

The ONLY problem now is the bulkhead or lack of. Does anyone know or have one in the North East of England.
I think we have all had the dilema should we break our donors or not, I was in two minds when I picked mine up as it was definately restorable... However the Sammio won me over and I was able to ease my mind knowing that all the parts sold on went towards keeping other Triumphs alive.. Under the Sammio still beats the heart of my original Donor
Pops
Old 25th August 2012, 08:30

The worst thing I have not even looked at the car yet just photos, most probably dog of car anyway, no I have now decide, strip the herald, straight six in then sort the kit.

Still trying to get in touch with Sammio sent two emails asking for prices, unfortunately I can’t get on the website.

I have decided I want the Lancia style, twin head bulges, centre bar, wrap round dash and windscreen, plus other bits for collection or delivery in about six months.

Paint wise it will Guards Red or a Duck Egg Blue (I will leave that to my daughter to decide).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho pops View Post
I think we have all had the dilema should we break our donors or not, I was in two minds when I picked mine up as it was definately restorable... However the Sammio won me over and I was able to ease my mind knowing that all the parts sold on went towards keeping other Triumphs alive.. Under the Sammio still beats the heart of my original Donor
Pops
Old 25th August 2012, 08:42

My donor looked too good to break but I bought it solely to use as a base for my Spyder rather than as a quick restoration job -

I heartlessly went at it with a set of spanners and an angle grinder and quickly discovered that if I had restored it without taking the body off (as most people do) the decay that had been cosmetically covered up by someone in the past meant it would have been a death trap -

And as Pops says, the parts you sell on will allow others to restore their beloved Triumphs. When I sold my Vitesse bonnet on ebay, the chap who bought it had had an uninsured teenage driver crash into his pride and joy three days before the auction ended. A couple of months later he sent me this picture of his car back on the road, thanks to me building a Sammio -

So go ahead, guilt free, and convert your Herald into a Sammio with a clear conscience.
Old 25th August 2012, 10:37

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Mas....If you want to try emailing Andy at Sammio direct , hes on andyp57@gmail.com

Or I can forward your email if you send it to me bayarearods@msn.com

or message me your email address and I can forward that !!

Everything you are asking for and the timeframe is no problem....The only immediate advice I would give is , Andy is in a gift giving mood at present , so a deposit might be beneficial now rather than later !!

Gary
Old 25th August 2012, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot link View Post
Mas....If you want to try emailing Andy at Sammio direct , hes on andyp57@gmail.com

Or I can forward your email if you send it to me bayarearods@msn.com

or message me your email address and I can forward that !!

Everything you are asking for and the timeframe is no problem....The only immediate advice I would give is , Andy is in a gift giving mood at present , so a deposit might be beneficial now rather than later !!

Gary
Cheers Gary

I will write a email now to the two you to make sure he gets it, I am having problems sending and recieving soon information as everything is monitored. and blocked automatically by our systems.
Old 26th August 2012, 01:45

Default New Web Diary for the Build

Start as I hope to go on, ORGANISED, looking at some of Threads this WILL NOT HAPPEN but here goes.

My Build Diary and Log plus Bits for Sale and Purchased.

Is any of you have picture I can you as stock please inform me complete cars prefered.

Also Andy can I put a link to Sammio. Please email me the correct details.

Mike
www.mikessammio.com
Old 26th August 2012, 09:49

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I heartlessly went at it with a set of spanners and an angle grinder and quickly discovered that if I had restored it without taking the body off (as most people do) the decay that had been cosmetically covered up by someone in the past meant it would have been a death trap.....
Sehr gut, Herr Toad. Todesfallen sind sehr gefährlich. Sie sind in Deutschland nicht erlaubt.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:54

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Mike. I hope you enjoy the Sammio experience. I have so far.

I've found that plans are for guidance only. The freedom to adjust them is fun.

If I were to offer any advice, I shall repeat what I have said before. Only buy parts when there is a bargain too good to miss, or else when you really need them. Ideas tend to ferment, and the longer you leave them the better the result. And, don't forget, staring and visualisation is good!
Old 26th August 2012, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Welcome, Mike. I hope you enjoy the Sammio experience. I have so far.

I've found that plans are for guidance only. The freedom to adjust them is fun.

If I were to offer any advice, I shall repeat what I have said before. Only buy parts when there is a bargain too good to miss, or else when you really need them. Ideas tend to ferment, and the longer you leave them the better the result. And, don't forget, staring and visualisation is good!
Cheers, the problem is I am in the middle of the sea, in Vietnam with 54 Vietnamese and 4 French, I have been buying bits here and there, lucky even if I broke the car I could possibly get my money back. Just can't wait to get home and get started with the spanners and ANGLE GRINDER.
Old 28th August 2012, 16:37

Ready to order.