Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 12th March 2023, 20:32
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
Looking really beautiful, very envious!
Thanks, Dpaz, it's a great looking car and hats off to John Barlow for his automotive design skills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have aborted an attempt to install some seatbelts from a company called 'Universal Seatbelts' in Billericay, Essex. After many hours of trying to figure out how to fit them I came to the conclusion that they had been assembled incorrectly with the buckle and lower mounting point stitched in the wrong way round. I managed to reverse the buckle by folding the belt over and pulling it through the buckle but the lower mounting point is cranked so it's not possible to reverse the mounting. They are correctly 'e' marked but I suspect they are Chinese copies from a low quality factory. Having realised they were obviously assembled incorrectly I completely lost faith in them in case the internal mechanism might be wrong.
I then bought a set of Securon belts and they fitted without any issue at all. They have a definite feel of quality in the smoothness of the belt material and are highly recommended.
But first I had to make some spacers to clear the bodywork and rear quarter trim panels.
Seatbelts by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I used a 25mm diameter steel bar which I cut to length before drilling the holes.

I had to purchase some longer 7/16" UNF bolts so here's a picture of the bolt head for the IVA inspector.

This is how my top mounting looks now. The thick rubber strip is for IVA compliance.

And, I found this bolt head cover in my box of bits left over from my Marlin Sportster build.

I've now finished the carpeting inside the car and trimmed the drivers door card. These strange looking pieces are the 'A' pillar covers, shown here before I covered them in cream vinyl.

'A' Pillar trims by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The chrome door pulls have hinges that do not meet the IVA 2.5mm radius rule so I made these temporary door pulls. Made from the strap from a charity shop handbag.

IVA door pulls by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

With the IVA test now in sight, I invested in a pukka tool to measure the 2.5mm radius rule for just a few pounds off ebay.

IVA radius check tool by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I shall now be taking a short pause from car building for a couple of weeks to do some essential diy and then I'll be back in the garage working my way through my final list of tasks before applying for my IVA test.

More updates to follow in a few weeks................

...........peter
Old 5th April 2023, 17:09
Enthusiast

Default Just when you thought it was safe.......

Just when I thought I was close to applying for my IVA I had a thought that I should check if the IVA manual had been up issued. So I checked on the government website and sure enough a new version was issued on the 20 March 2023!

So I downloaded a copy and checked the Release Notes for Version 15.0.
There are 15 changes identified and most of them are very minor. So I went through each change and identified the impact on my Royale Sabre.
There are 12 changes that have no impact or are not applicable to my vehicle.
2 changes (Section 12 and section 16) now have an exemption from the 2.5mm radius rule for movable windows. They now only have to be 'blunted' which is good news as I won't have to disable the electric windows at my test.
(Mike on this forum, had this as a failure point at his IVA on his Marlin Cabrio) It's nice to see some common sense being applied.
The only other change is to the tolerance of the Speedometer. Previously, Speedo's were allowed to over-read the true speed by up to10% plus 6.25mph.
The new requirement is a tolerance of up to10% plus 2.5mph. Providing my ETB electronic speed is working and set correctly, then this shouldn't be a problem.
As I said, this analysis is for the Royale Sabre so if you are building something else you should check the changes as they may affect your particular kit car.

No build updates at present due to holidays, etc.

......peter
Old 6th April 2023, 22:57
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Sabre unfinished project just listed on ebay

Not sure if its a good deal or not, seems to come with a lot of bits but you'd have to pretty much start from scratch I would have thought.
Old 7th April 2023, 10:33
Enthusiast

There is also this one on Marketplace but no mention of the donor V5 so a bit of a risk getting it registered.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9250305610390/
Old 7th April 2023, 13:16
Big Cheese

Not bad value if it has all the bits (kit bits) with it but even more work to do than the other one. I'd be very tempted but just haven't got the room (TVR in the garage)

BTW, like the idea with the yoga mat. I need to do the same.
Old 7th April 2023, 23:01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
Not bad value if it has all the bits (kit bits) with it but even more work to do than the other one. I'd be very tempted but just haven't got the room.
But you know you really want one 😁
Old 7th April 2023, 23:21
Big Cheese

Thats the trouble, I do. And the Mrs would even go for it as she likes that period of car......but. must. do. the. TVR.
Old 2nd May 2023, 10:25

hillclimbmanic is on a distinguished road

I've been following this thread for a couple of years, and I must commend you on attention to detail!
I bought my Sabre last year, already finished, with a few little jobs to do. Unfortunately, I have NO IDEA how to post a photo on here, now(Luddite!)

Manic
Old 2nd May 2023, 22:07
Enthusiast

Default Slow progress....

Not much to report on due to other commitments but I am slowly working my way through a list of things to do before applying for my IVA test.
One of the things on the list was to set up the speedo with the correct calibration setting based on my new wheels and tyres, etc. After setting the speedo, I raised the rear of the car on axle stands so I could run through the gears and see if the speedo works which it did fine.
But, when I first started the engine it made a dreadful noise and ran very roughly. I think one of the hydraulic lifters had drained (or stuck?) and took a while to work properly. It cleared after about 5 minutes but the episode reminded me it was probably time to change the engine oil.
I also figured it would not be a bad idea to flush the old oil so I bought a can of Wynns engine flush to clear out any crud. Following the instructions, I added the can of liquid to the engine oil and allowed the engine to idle for 20 minutes.
Then whilst still hot I drained the old oil which came out black showing the flushing agent had worked.
With my new 15" wheels and 80 profile tyres there is now sufficient clearance under the car to slide my plastic oil draining 'can' underneath without the need to jack up the car. And the oil drain plug is in a convenient position so that it can be reached with an extra long extension bar on my 1/2" ratchet.

Oil change April 2023 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr
(You can make out the sump and oil draining out in the centre of this picture. The black plastic oil draining can is on the ground beneath the chassis above.)

After leaving the old oil to drain over lunch, I changed the oil filter which is so easy on this engine and I was pleased to find the new Bosch filter came with all the necessary seals and 'o' rings. I refiitted the sump plug with a new seal and refilled with Millers Oil. I chose this oil as it meets BMW spec and is a reasonable price.

Oil change April 2023 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I was pleased that on start up the engine ran smoother than ever.
Until next update...............

.............peter
Old 17th May 2023, 21:03
Enthusiast

Default Cooling system - Mk 3

Whilst running my engine to test the speedo all the air in the header tank 'disappeared'.
After some head scratching I realised the air had not leaked out but it had all accumulated in the top of the radiator.
I then realised I had made a school boy error when I moved the header tank vent hose from the top of the radiator connection to the cooling fan-switch adaptor in the top radiator hose. I had overlooked the fact that the adapter was set in a hose that was about 4" lower than the top of the radiator.
I've now re-configured the top hose so that the fan switch adapter is now level with the top of the radiator so there should be no chance of air being trapped in the top of the radiator. It's a bit of a Heath Robinson design and I hope to create something more elegant one day.
First test went well but only time will tell if it is okay.

Cooling system - Mk 3 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I have been lining the boot and finishing off a list of small items before the IVA test.

....peter
Old 17th May 2023, 22:08
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Nice catch, looking good
Old 30th June 2023, 18:56
Enthusiast

Default IVA Update

I've been a bit quite on here as I've been preparing for the Sabre's IVA test.

Whilst preparing for the IVA (which had its own share of issues) I found the time to line the boot. I used matching carpet and plywood covered in carpet.

Boot lining by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The jack and wheel brace is a requirement for the IVA and of course is useful to change a wheel and is fixed to the bulkhead with a couple of wing nuts. i plan to make a cover at some stage.

The IVA requires you arrive with a full tank of petrol so a trip to the local petrol station was required to fill the tank. All 17 gallons!!

IVA preparation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I filled the boot with a selection and spare bits and pieces in case there is something simple to fix at the IVA.

IVA preparation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

And today was my pre-booked IVA day. Is was a 6.30 am start and the 40 minute drive to the IVA station was great fun .

IVA day by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Part way through the tester took a break, so I took a couple of sneaky shots.

So how did it go.................

Well it didn
Old 30th June 2023, 18:59
Enthusiast

Hahaha...............

That wasn't deliberate but the forum seems to have a sense of humour
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well it didn
Old 30th June 2023, 19:01
Enthusiast

oh dear, this is not funny now................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it didnt pass and he couldn
Old 30th June 2023, 19:04
Enthusiast

seems to apostrophise causing problems........
I will try again.........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it didn’t pass and he couldn’t test the brakes as their rollers were broken!
Because of the rollers issue he couldn’t do an ‘official’ test but agreed to check the car over.
I will have to go back for the brake test and check the corrections below.

So firstly the good news....

VIN plate and stamping passed (I was bit worried as my chassis stamping wasn’t very good)
Engine emissions passed with flying colours (even though tested to the BMW spec!)
No 'sharp' edges (he didn't even get his measuring tools out)
All lights, wipers, demister, horn etc okay
All interior controls and steering passed
Seat belt mounting height passed! (so my upright mods worked)
All nylocks okay
Speedo accuracy passed okay
Mirrors and self centering passed
Noise not even measured as it is ‘obviously quiet’.

And now the things I need to fix....

Excessive play between brake pedal pushrod and master cylinder (this developed during the drive to the IVA)
Front flexible brake lines too long and touching chassis on full lock (not previously seen when I checked?)
A grommet on the wires to the starter motor had popped out (probably whilst fitting carpet)
Screw missing from one 'p' clip (??) (I had fitted the nutsert but not the screw...doh!)
Heat shield required between exhaust pipe and a rubber fuel hose (reasonable request)
Heat shield required between silencer box and fuel tank (subjective opinion)
No grommets on the wires going to rear lights (even though they are covered in PVC sheathing and going through GRP)
Top of the front tyres foul on the wings under full lock and acceleration (I need to raise the suspension a bit or get thinner spacers)

So a bit disappointing not to pass first time but not a bad result.

i hope to go for a retest in a couple of weeks..........

.................peter

Last edited by peterux; 30th June 2023 at 19:06.. Reason: rubbish forum software
Old 1st July 2023, 13:26

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Peter - Your car looks fantastic.

Shame you didn't pass first time, but it looks like it is all minor stuff.

Plus, you finally got to drive the car on the road too.

Good luck getting over the finish line, cheers, Paul.
Old 1st July 2023, 15:30

Amir Manzoori is on a distinguished road

Dear Peter, It is such a good news that you finally had the change to get the feel of the beautiful car you put so much effort into building it to what it is. It looks the part and it is lovely. Looking forward to the little modifications to be done and get it through the IVA test.
Old 1st July 2023, 21:49
Enthusiast

Thanks Paul and Amir for your encouraging comments. I've been building this car for nearly eleven years so another couple of weeks is a drop in the ocean.

Yesterday, with all the issues in my head, I forgot to mention the fantastic experience of driving my Sabre.
My journey yesterday morning started at 6.30am and the 40 minute drive to the test station was really exhilarating and enjoyable with the early morning light and the birds singing in the trees.
The ride is smooth and easy to drive with so much power from the engine. I think my tyres were pumped up a bit high (to help pass the self-centering test) as the steering was a little twitchy and very sensitive to the smallest movement. I had her up to about 50mph but found cruising at 45mph more enjoyable much to the frustration of some of the early morning commuters .
You don’t notice the slightly offset steering wheel and being quite low down in the car there is not much wind buffeting. I drove there with the windows down and up on the way back, as the weather had deteriorated. With the windows up you get a lot more wind on the back of your head.

This car was number seven off the production line and left the factory in July 1994 and now has been driven!! It only took 29 years.
It must have been quite a shock for the poor thing.

I made a start today on the issues so shouldn't be too long.....

.......peter

Last edited by peterux; 1st July 2023 at 21:50.. Reason: to add the missing text
Old 13th July 2023, 18:51
Enthusiast

Default IVA passed!!

Good news, my car has passed its IVA test today!!!

Fairly uneventful apart from my route to the DVSA site was blocked by the police attending a car and trailer that had taken a bend too fast and tipped over. This meant I had to take a detour up a single track road which was a bit exciting.

Different tester this time who started by checking off the list of corrections without much comment and then ran the brake test. Front brakes passed okay but the rears were marginal at 58% versus the requirement of 60%. This would have been a fail except the tester suggested I changed the Axle Design Weight from 1500kg to 1400kg to which I agreed and it passed. It was just a technicality as the rear brakes are still bedding in and would likely reach the 60% quite soon.
After that he went off and wrote out the certificate and I headed home before the rain came.

Registration documents sent off today, so we'll have to see how long the DVLA take.

Happy days............

....peter

IVA Passed by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

IVA Passed by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Last edited by peterux; 13th July 2023 at 20:59.. Reason: add missing text and pictures
Old 13th July 2023, 21:37

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Peter - Many congratulations!

Now enjoy the fruits of your hard labour.

I hadn't realised the car had never been driven before.

So I went back to Page 1 of this thread and that provided a great before & after.

Enjoy, Paul.