Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Seven Style builds

Seven Style builds Westfields, Caterham, Dax Rush, Luego, Robin Hood, Tiger, Locust, MK, RAW, Quantum, you name it, you're building it, share it here.

Old 19th November 2022, 14:36

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking More Holy(ish) Grail

Yesterday I pootled up the Fosseway for my long-delayed collection of the Avenger prop-shaft I need for mating to my gearbox. I have to say that the vendor, with whom I've been in internet correspondence was, as miserable gits go, right up there, even face to face. Still I got the necessary for a reasonable 30 quid, result! It was a 150 mile round trip so, on return, I left unloading and examination for today.

The internal splines were as rusty as the rest of the prop. and needed a good hour of wire brushing (I had to saw the longitudinal corners off one of those pound shop brushes to get it slim enough) and scraping with a skinny flat bladed screwdriver for them to look half way decent. I next sat the Ford prop. alongside and had a good head scratch.

The U/J spiders and their yokes look to be of similar dimensions so it may be possible to hybridise the original with the gearbox end of the 'new' one. Before I embark on attempting this, I'll have to carefully measure where everything sits (again - I know what I'm like!) to ensure that I wouldn't end up with the gear stick either under the scuttle or my left elbow.

Whilst searching my shed for the old prop., I found the engine mounting rubbers (which were attached to the cross member when I collected all the gubbins). I'd forgotten I had them and had been searching the internet without success for a pair to bolt to my recently acquired 'Holy Grail' brackets. I now have all the necessary for more engine dangling to accurately fabricate the chassis frame mountings.

I'm beginning to feel that I'm getting somewhere!

Regards, Mick
Old 19th November 2022, 14:51

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

Well done Mick for sorting all the bits ! At least the internet is there to help find all the parts, it still takes a lot of work / miles and time to bring it all together ! To think that in the 70's, 80's and 90's you could go down your local scrappy and get all the bits in an hour or two for a few quid ! There were plenty of miserable old gits back then too, usually running the scrap yards !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 19th November 2022 at 14:54..
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:31

Default Nibbling away...

Yesterday I decided to offer up the Talbot Sunbeam cross member again and have another head scratch: after lots more measuring, including some ground clearance guesswork, I concluded that it could be used if positioned under the Dutton's frame. I clamped it roughly in position, tapped it back and forth until it sat correctly, and checked that there was sufficient edge to the mating surfaces for secure welding. I took a rubbish picture in the gloom and called it a day. I will of course get all the relevant bits back to bare metal before taking it to my MIGmeister.

Today I re-checked everything and had a quick panic regarding clearance for the radiator, but my fears were allayed when I remembered that I'd be fitting an electric fan - phew!. I jacked up the front end to a convenient height, secured it to a beam with a ratchet strap, and drilled through the frame and cross member (after yet more measuring). I cut some threaded 6mm bar and bolted through, two nuts locked together and a penny washer beneath, and another above topped off with a split washer and nut. Job done .

I can now do some more dangling for gearbox mounting positioning.

Regards, Mick
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:01

Talking Musical Chairs

After yesterday's temporary bolting in of the cross member, I today decided to offer up the engine. It seemed that everything was in the wrong place to achieve this . First job was to turn the 'car' around. Whilst it was down the garden, half way through the manouvre, I hoicked out the crane which it had been blocking in. I then had to work the crane around to the other side of the engine stand, which was only just possible with one crane leg up. Taking the engine's weight with the crane I freed it from the stand, which I could then stow away. With the front end of the frame now much more accessible, dangling could commence . I lowered the engine fully down onto the cross member and released it from the crane, having roughly levelled it with my trolley jack under the rear sump.

Measuring the distance from the front edge of the integral bell housing to the gearbox mounting lugs, I could accurately work out if the existing frame cross member and gearbox mounts would be compatible. The jury was out on that one so, as the sky blackened threateningly, I packed up and called it a day, well pleased with my progress.

Regards, Mick
Old 23rd November 2022, 19:52

At first glance it looks like the bulkhead structure is to the left and the engine is in back to front ! Then looking again you can see the girders rising up towards the right of the picture which hold the rear axle in place. Sometimes wonder how Mr Dutton came up with this chassis design, quite unconventional even back then !
Old 31st December 2022, 16:16

froggyman is on a distinguished road

Hi Mick, hope all well with you as no updates for a while. Best wishes for 2023.
Old 1st January 2023, 10:21

Hi Froggyman

All's good here thank you, apart from the demon bug I've had for a fortnight, which somewhat put the kibosh on Xmas. The only tiny progress I've made is buying a pair of long front wings on Ebay for 50 quid. I'm supposed to be motoring down to Winchester today to collect them but not sure if I'm up to it. My last post seems a lifetime ago, although it's not even six weeks. Roll on spring!

New Year's Best Wishes to you too.

Mick
Old 1st January 2023, 15:55

Happy New Year Mick .
Keep posting your build, its the only currently active one on the whole forum !

I'd post more on my project but little to report at the moment and sometimes I think I'm talking to myself when I do !
Old 3rd January 2023, 12:29

Default One step forward, two steps back...

Yesterday, spurred on by Froggyman's and Lucky's good wishes and encouragement, not to mention the crisp sunny weather, I wandered down to the cave and decided to start working out gearbox mountings. First job was to get the trolley jack out of the way, so I lay a piece of 4x4 across the top rails and took the weight of the back of the engine with a ratchet strap.

I was then able to crane the gearbox roughly into position. It was immediately apparent that, unless the engine/box were to be at a crazy nose-down attitude, the interfering frame cross member would need to be modified.

A new length of inch and a half box complete with the two forward facing stubs will need to be lap welded beneath the existing cross member (suitably cut to clear the gearbox tail). With so much welding work on the frame being needed, I think I'll ask my ever accommodating friend if one of his boys would like to come in on a Saturday for folding money, with a suitable donation for consumables. This is what we did for the substantial frame mods needed on the Rover V8 engined Phaeton I built back in '92.

Having reached this impasse I decided to offer up the prop. just to see how it looked for cutting and shutting. Imagine my dismay when the female end's internal spline proved to be way too small for the gearbox's male output spline. Aaaaaargh!!! The above mentioned miserable git had said "There's not much I don't know about these Rootes propshafts". Obviously mistaken!

So, it looks like going back to the relevant FB groups to find someone who really knows what they're talking about, so that a correct prop may be sourced. 30 quid and 150 miles of petrol down the pan. Disappointed? Just a tad!

Regards, Mick
Old 6th January 2023, 20:03
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Hi Mick,
sorry to hear about your propshaft woes. I got my propshaft from Dunning and Fairbank (https://www.dandfltd.co.uk/) and they were extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. Worth dropping them an email?
....peter
Old 11th January 2023, 10:13

Talking

Thanks for that Peter, I may well avail myself .

On Monday, at long last, I motored down to Winchester and collected my Westfield SE wings. My Dutton chum of 40+ years accompanied me, reprising the many trips we made rescuing abandoned Phaetons and B Types back in the 80s. Happy Days!

And yesterday the nice man delivered my metre of 40x40mm tube, destined for cross member modifications. The sun has today crept high enough to clear the houses opposite and illuminate the cave from just after 0900 - spring is on its way...

As I've been typing this I've flicked back and forth to Ebay where I've just this second won a pair of A35 front sidelights for a tenner. They're 'spares or repair' but as I'll be making my own LED bulbs, as per usual, that matters not.

Regards, Mick
Old 30th April 2023, 09:51

Default Hooray!

Yesterday, at long last, the warm spring sunshine tempted me down to the cave and engendered some enthusiasm which has been largely lacking during the rather grim weather since I last posted.

First job was to sort out my disorganised shed where I discovered that I was down to my last seven spare steering wheels...

I also dug out my seat belt mounting frame which I had pop riveted, ready for welding, but back to front . I drilled out the rivets and re-assembled it correctly.

I then turned my attention to the stack of GRP body parts on my front drive. I decided that the long hard top was surplus, advertised it on Dutton Owners FB group (FOC) and got an immediate bite. Then, as one of the planned welding jobs was the stub supports for the headlights, I popped the flip front back on and marked where they'd fit, so today I can chop up some 1" angle in readyness.

I've only made one purchase since last posting, which was aluminium front Triumph hubs with Ford PCD. The steel ones that came with the car have bolt on adaptors and weigh the proverbial ton!. I had the imperial studs pressed in by the vendors, Merlin Motorsport. They weren't cheap at coming on 300 quid the pair but I'm pleased as punch with them.

Now that enthusiasm has been re-kindled I'm hoping that the weather gods will smile this summer.

Regard, Mick
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:42

redratbike is on a distinguished road

loving the big wooden steering wheel
Old 3rd May 2023, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by redratbike View Post
loving the big wooden steering wheel
My Westfield XI owning kit car chum of some 40+ years bought it at a car boot sale years ago as it was Triumph Spitfire friendly, donating it for the A352. Sadly, pedant that I am, I decided that the correct D-Type five holes per spoke style should be fitted.

It's free to a good home should anyone fancy it.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 3rd May 2023 at 19:16..
Old 3rd May 2023, 19:38

Default Headlights and tank.

Yesterday, having trimmed off the surplus fabric around my Monaco tonneau cover, I decided to make the headlight support brackets, thinking this would be a five minute job . Far from it. Having offered up the flip front to gauge access to the front frame, I dug out one headlamp bucket and pondered the appropriate size mounting. The 13mm mounting post thread with its hefty washers decided me against 1" box or angle, a pity as that is the size of the top rail to which it would be welded. Digging out and offering up some 1.5" angle looked OK, if welded under the front of the top rail. Lots of discing, filing and (especially) drilling later the N/S one was g-clamped on with a redundant sealed beam unit in place to view the effect. It was satisfactory. I took a picture but accidently deleted today .

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 21st July 2023 at 14:57.. Reason: Typos.
Old 4th May 2023, 08:41

Yesterday morning I pitched in and made the mirror image driver's side headlight bracket - pretty straightforward. The chap who had bagged my long hardtop on FB then arrived to collect it and we chatted Duttons for a good while before he departed.

Whilst all the metalwork gubbins was out I decided to fabricate a rear cross member for the MkII Cortina fuel tank. My first Phaeton also used this tank, but, as it was new with an intact and sufficiently strong GRP boot floor, no rear support was necessary, unlike the current butchered item. The rearmost frame members are angled inwards to pick up the leaf spring mounts so my proposed support needed a bit of thought. With a combination of a ratchet strap, axle stand and spirit level I balanced the tank in position

After offering up my length of 1" box, I cut a bevel on one end so it just cleared the back of the tank and marked the position of the first bend. I cut through three sides of the box, offered it up and bent it until it sat just right. Repeat for the second bend, then chop the other end bevel. To my amazement it ended up almost an interference fit.

Today I'll cut the fillets necessary for the bend holes

Regards, Mick
Old 4th May 2023, 09:50

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

I hope you don't mind, but just a thought.......... If the body/floor is above that, would it be worth making the centre 'strip' detachable so the tank can be dropped for maintenance?
Old 4th May 2023, 13:11

Dpaz is on a distinguished road

And another IHYDMB. If you cut the fillets on the inside they would close up. Just sayin' ! But it is looking good. It is nice now it is warming up.
Old 4th May 2023, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchelkitman View Post
I hope you don't mind, but just a thought.......... If the body/floor is above that, would it be worth making the centre 'strip' detachable so the tank can be dropped for maintenance?
My first Phaeton had the same tank, and even with the 2" stub pipe which mated (via a hose) with the Spitfire centre deck filler, it went in through the boot opening. There'll be a 6mm ply boot floor with a suitably accurate tank hole which I'll fit before attaching the rear body to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpaz View Post
And another IHYDMB. If you cut the fillets on the inside they would close up. Just sayin' ! But it is looking good. It is nice now it is warming up.
I've gone the 'inside cut' route a couple of times successfully with exhausts, but only after making plastic pipe patterns first. I didn't have any square plastic pipe so I took the 'lazy but first time accurate' way out.

Thanks for your interest both. Good to know that there are helpful eyes lurking on the forum .

Regards, Mick
Old 5th May 2023, 16:35

redratbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick O'Malley View Post
It's free to a good home should anyone fancy it.

Regards, Mick[/FONT]
message sent