Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds

Marlin Sportster, Cabrio, Berlinetta and Roadster builds Enthused or Confused about your vintage Marlin build? Ask away here or show off your build.

Old 2nd August 2023, 17:29

Nigbo is on a distinguished road
Default Sportster Camber Angle Adjustment

Can somebody inform exactly how is the camber angle adjusted on the Sportster . I can see a camber plate or camber bolts which typical methods of adjustment , I believe mine are around 2.5 + deg neg which seems and looks excessive.
Available from eBay
Old 2nd August 2023, 18:29
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigbo View Post
Can somebody inform exactly how is the camber angle adjusted on the Sportster . I can see a camber plate or camber bolts which typical methods of adjustment , I believe mine are around 2.5 + deg neg which seems and looks excessive.
It's a long time ago but, I think you can screw the bush tubes in or out on the top suspension wishbone.
You have to first remove the long rod that holds the upper wishbone in place to rotate the bush tubes.
Old 5th August 2023, 21:05
Enthusiast

Patrick is on a distinguished road

Peter is correct camber is adjusted by unscrewing the threaded parts that hold the bushes. Caster is done but moving washers either side of the top wishbone mount.

My post from when I set the car up in 2008:

https://www.msportster.co.uk/2008/05...-the-handling/

Tried to copy and paste it into the post 3 times but the text keeps disappearing, hoping the link will stay

Last edited by Patrick; 5th August 2023 at 21:06.. Reason: wont save the content I paste in
Old 7th August 2023, 17:49
Enthusiast

Got your comment on my site:

To adjust - support the chassis with a jack unloading the suspension.

Remove the nut either end of the top wishbone on the chassis side and pull out the rod that goes all the way through.

This is an old photo with the stock for ford TCA bush (Marlin since stop selling these and only supplied the powerflex ones in the above photo) as well as showing the wishbone installed up the wrong way.

However it does how the threaded part used to adjust camber. Undo the nuts and twist them in or out on the thread to make the wishbone longer, or shorter, as needed. Make sure they stay the same length relative to each other.

It's a pretty slow process setting this up as you need to assemble the whole thing, put it on it's wheels bounce / move it and re-measure.

Old 5th November 2023, 14:19
Enthusiast

I had some questions come through on my site on how the camber and caster are adjusted on the Sportster. Excuse my poor CAD drawings they are not dimensionally accurate, they only represent the adjustments available.

Forum keeps deleting half my post, please view article on my site instead: https://www.msportster.co.uk/2023/11...er-adjustment/

Last edited by Patrick; 5th November 2023 at 14:20.. Reason: cuts my post in half when i try and save