Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Miglia Builds and discussion

Miglia Builds and discussion Miglia bodied builds

Old 17th December 2014, 03:00

Carib Classics is on a distinguished road
Default Worcester MIGLIA

Hi all, been reading most of your build diaries for the past seven months and have been inspired to BUILD A CAR. I currently have two classic cars but I now have the bug to build one, and have selected the MIGLIA.

Last edited by Carib Classics; 17th December 2014 at 03:07..
Available from eBay
Old 17th December 2014, 03:04

[QUOTE=Carib Classics;62047]Hi all, been reading most of your build diaries for the past seven months and have been inspired to BUILD A CAR. I currently have two classic cars but I now have the bug to build one, and have selected the MIGLIA.
Old 17th December 2014, 14:34

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Carib Classics - Welcome to the forum.

It will be nice to see another Miglia build on here.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 17th December 2014, 20:19

1iTim is on a distinguished road

Hi carib, welcome, and good luck!
Old 18th December 2014, 02:51

Default worcester miglia

I will try and keep a diary as I am going to need much help from you guys who have built a number of cars. I will be very honest my keenness is far greater than my car building knowledge.
I have a teaching and lecturing background so I do a lot of planning after which I came up with this as my starting point.
September 2014
I decided to use the spitfire chassis, my research found they were far more sturdy and there a more readily available in good condition. What my research didn't show me was that they are shorter in length. Now anyone who knows about cars would have spotted that one car is a two seater and the other is a four seater. Not me.
And so with the purchase of two chassis the build started. Why two? because my project chassis was solid. It had been already stripped, cleaned and painted and was sold as a bare boned unit, [ATTACH]IMG_0471.jpg[/ATTACH]
That meant I had to get another chassis with running gear.[ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_0458.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Once I stripped the chassis it was discarded for scrap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (100.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0457.jpg (101.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0465.jpg (94.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 18th December 2014, 08:38

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Have you spoken to Mike @ Miglia yet?

He did modify an original Herald based Speedster to work with the Spitfire chassis for Marc F.

I think the original plan was to offer a Spitfire based version, but it is worth checking.

It would certainly make your life easier compared to buying the Herald based model and them modifying it to fit.

Good luck, Paul.
Old 18th December 2014, 08:40

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Whoo Hoo a new Miglia builder! I was starting to feel a bit lonely in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carib Classics View Post
I will be very honest my keenness is far greater than my car building knowledge.
You'll fit right in then

Best of luck with the project and i look forward to seeing how it progresses
Old 18th December 2014, 19:15

rattler is on a distinguished road
Default w/miglia

hi you wont regret it good fun my miglia is on show at a citroen main dealer showroom so nice and warm for the winter now building a citroen 2cv specia rattlerl
Old 19th December 2014, 00:33

Thanks guys for all the positives.
Yes I have spoken to Mike at Miglia , thanks Paul, and he is setting me up with a subframe and body to suit my spitfire chassis.
Old 19th December 2014, 00:51

So that was back in September and much progress since then. My rolling gear came off with very little trouble. I must confess that I am fortunate to be part of a group of enthusiast who think they know everything there is to know about classic cars.
The ring leader is Big Kevin who owns the local garage and is a one of the best fabricator I've ever seen.
He CAN reproduce any shape and size steel panel.
However none of this mad group have ever built a kit car so I'm venturing into territories green for us all.
The great thing about the group is that everyone chips in to help whenever there is something to resolve. Out of hours we have full access to the ramps and extensive snap on tools that belong to Kevin and Chris who work at KW Auto and classics Cars Bromsgrove Worcestershire full time. Although I have my build in a lockup, once the basic rolling chassis is built, and I can get some space? its round to the garage for advice and verbal abuse.

Last edited by Carib Classics; 19th December 2014 at 19:36..
Old 19th December 2014, 01:12

Default October 15th 2014

With my two chassis in two different locations, I could get busy. Everything was removed the suspension donating chassis it was all power washed, dried and the long task of cleaning and painting began.IMG_0460.jpgIMG_0463.jpg
Old 19th December 2014, 01:37

Default October Cleaning

My build chassis was secured in my lockup, which is where all my main bits will be stored as I obtain them.IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0468.jpg.
Did someone say whats that under the heavily wrapped polythene sheets? Well thats my 2litre Redtop race prepared engine. I will back a ford type 9 five speed box or a T5 gearbox to it, and as they say, thats all she wrote. YES VERY NICE!!!!
Oh can anyone say whether the standard prop and diff will cope with that monster setup? All those who have build a V8 version, what did you do with your back end?
Old 19th December 2014, 02:12

Default October and My Life with the workshop bench Vice

With all the garage equipment and tools at my disposal, my two large bins of suspension parts were stored at KW Auto. The cleaning of the suspension parts?guys they takes a lot of time, particularly under the eyes of Big Kevin, he is a stickler for detail. All my spare days and evenings were spent with a bench vice. To be honest, it made the final striping and cleaning so much easier. Everything is washed in clutch and brake cleaning fluid,IMG_0499.jpg
then given a thorough wire brushing to remove all the rust
IMG_0493.jpg
before it is either hand painted for the chassis engine mountsIMG_0531.jpg
or sprayed the appropriate colour as part of the suspension unit.
IMG_0517.jpgIMG_0588.jpg.
Old 19th December 2014, 02:27

Default October lots of clean bits

Nice clean Suspension Bits
IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg.
Old 19th December 2014, 02:36

Default October lots of clean bits 2

More Nice Clean Bits
IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0512.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg.
Old 19th December 2014, 03:38

Default November and Location Switch to the Lockup

With October ending there was still a few parts still to be cleaned and sprayed, and so November arrived and I was still married to the bench vice. However it all ended and all my clean bits of suspension and accessories were transferred to be stored and hung in the lockup.
IMG_0584.jpg.
The lockup was also where I was going to do my basic rolling chassis build, but before I could start my build I had to prepare my build chassis in the same way I had addressed the suspension.
So with an electric generator borrowed from Kevin for the tools and light which I had erected, my cleaning and striping began.
IMG_0594.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
I used a flat electric metal sanding disk on the flat areas, to strip it back to the bare metal looking for any holes and a series of wire brushes in the small and tricky areas.
IMG_0601.jpg
The area is cleaned with brake and clutch fluid to remove any grease and dirt before a thick hand brushed layer of silver metallic paint was applied.
IMG_0596.jpg.
Old 19th December 2014, 05:20

1iTim is on a distinguished road

nice work, you have most of the easy stuff done!

stonking engine to go in there - buy a couple of spare diffs, at the very least some from the 6 cyl GT6. just change them each time they break!

you can also get quaife internals. You could also loose the swing arms and go full independant with cv jointed rear that will unload (laterally) the diff so allowing other diffs to be engineered in (subaru, nissan).

Say hi to mike for me!
Old 19th December 2014, 08:45

swifty is on a distinguished road

Nice work CC you are well on the way, you mention fitting a type 9 gearbox thats what i have done but used a GT6 engine, did consider a bigger engine but then there was the uprated brakes etc to consider so stuck with a GT6 for now. There is some good sites on subaru diff conversion in triumph chassis plus uprated independent rear suspension.

Good luck and i look forward to following your progress.

Cheers Swifty
Old 19th December 2014, 09:27

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Wow, with that red top and a Spit Chassis, if you keep the build lightweight you'll have close to 400bhp/tonne to play with.

These three (all on Vitesse Chassis and running Triumph six pots) have between 150 and 240bhp/tonne and all are pretty rapid.

Yours is going to be bonkers! I like it.
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:39

Default Mister Towed

Nice cars MT, yes I don't intend to do anything to increase the weight. The type 9 gearbox will add a few ponds but thats it. Did you leave your back end as standard?
My intensions are to keep my first attempt as standard as possible with general upgrades such as vented replacement discs, which I have to change anyway. This route will ensure I get the build completed, then go back and either do another build or gradually make the uprated changes.
The guys at the garage think I should do all the uprated and changes this time around, but as its my first lit build, and no-one else at the garage has ever built a kit car, I intend to keep focussed and have it completed for summer or certainly within 12 months.IMG_0259.jpg.
These are a few of the Bromsgrove garage crew. You can obviously tell who is big Kevin. (blonde mop?)The other two are Nathan who's stag had just won best classic on show that day, and Roger the dodger, he can spray anything.