Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds

Vintage and Classic Roadster Kit Car Builds For Vintage and Classic era kit cars. Post your build reports, problems and progress here

Old 19th December 2021, 07:55
Enthusiast

DaveP is on a distinguished road

Looking good so far MrT. Keep up the good work and progress thread.

It’s a bit quiet on here lately and your content worth coming back for.
Old 19th December 2021, 19:44

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your positive comments, guys, it's nice to know you're interested in what I'm doing

It's all coming together slowly but surely, and I should have another update shortly after Christmas.
Old 4th January 2022, 09:49

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

looking good
Old 6th February 2022, 15:24

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - A very belated 'Nice job on the doors'.

Any more progress to report?

Good luck, Paul.
Old 6th February 2022, 19:27

Hi Paul, no more progress to report just yet as I've been busy with other things recently.

Will be getting on with it soon, though...
Old 27th June 2022, 13:52

deni is on a distinguished road

Hi Mr T.

Would you be kind to give more info on your spring choice for the Speedster please?

I have read that you have used 170lb springs (did you buy them at Rimmers? - I could only find higher rate springs on their website)?

I was researching a bit more about springs, and I think that I have read somewhere that you were intending to use 150lb springs for this build. Is that correct? If yes, what made you change your mind?

Also, did you have to cut down the springs you installed on the speedster, and if yes for how much please? The stance of the speedster looks great - I am curious what is the fitted length of the spring you ended up with?

I hope the build is going well, and that you also manage to find the time to go out and look for treasures with your metal detector.

Cheers, Deni.
Old 30th June 2022, 17:12

Hi Deni, thanks for the positive comments they're always appreciated.

I've now sourced a pair of 150lb front springs from Moss Europe. I've gone with the softer rate as my car isn't going to be very heavy - the 180lb springs were perfect on my Spyder, which ran a straight 6, but the Speedster's only got a four pot - and a car with overly firm suspension is dangerous on the roads where I live.

The fen roads round here are very undulating as the ground they're built on is about as solid as blancmange, so stiff suspension on a car can make it impossible to drive safely at anything over 50mph. As an example, I attended a single vehicle RTC near Wisbech where a garage delivery driver had been driving a customer car, a Porsche Cayenne SUV on 20" alloys and 'uprated' suspension on a fen road. There was a particular straight where the road dips and rises twice in quick succession, and the Porsche was launched into space as it failed to damp the second rise after hitting the first dip way too hard - there were witness marks where the car had bottomed out. It struck a telegraph pole just under three metres above ground level almost twenty metres from where it took off, and ended up in the roadside ditch. The driver was fine, a bit shaken and probably in need of a new job, but the car was written off.

Anyway, back to the springs. Here's a list of what Triumph fitted and when:

http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/springs.htm

And here's where you can buy the 150lb springs from:

https://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/front...111-spitfire-2

I also use Gaz ride & height adjustable shocks on their softest setting and almost fully extended to get the stance just right.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GSA366GAZAS

Not cheap but excellent quality and infinitely preferable to cutting the springs down.

Anyway, got to go as I'm on holiday and wifey wants me to get ready for dinner
Old 1st July 2022, 14:58

deni is on a distinguished road

Hi Mr.T,

Oh dear, It's amazing how far and high this guy was "catapulted" in the air . Poor guy, but I admit I had to laugh as well...I loooove your stories Mr.T, so thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much, your advice is so helpful, as always.

I have GAZ adjustable shocks. I have decided to part-exchange my spring seats for springs with 2,75" ID, and replace them with the ones for the springs with 2,5" ID. I need to lower my car significantly, so I reckon I need shorter springs, and there is so much choice if are buying 2,5" ID springs.

Your speedster looks great, and it will probably be a bit lighter than my car, as I have added some weight to the subframe modifying it to make it a bit more sturdier and safer, as it was quite basic.

So, I have now ordered 9" long, 170lb springs, and we shall see how they work. I know this is trial and error process, but at least I have a starting point. I tried to come close to factory Spitfire 1500 spec as a reference.

I'm only worried a bit about the top seats. Not sure they will be ok now, as the springs OD might be a bit smaller too.

Looking forward to see your next update on the speedster build.

Have nice holidays and thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers, D.