Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Italian Replica builds and chat

Italian Replica builds and chat Lamborghini, Ferrari, Lancia, any Italian replica car build and chat

Old 3rd May 2022, 21:09

argy is on a distinguished road
Default Stoneleigh and the 250 polished stainless steel boot handle

Hi to everyone that I met at Stoneleigh over the weekend.

Compared with previous years Stoneleigh was quite quiet this year. The weather wasn't brilliant on Sunday but wasn't too bad yesterday.

I helped out on the https://grassbankconversions.co.uk/ stand in hall 1 where I displayed my polished stainless steel boot handle (see images below) and my replacement rear lens which eliminates the boxy MGB rear lens. (see image).

I forgot to get Ian Fife's number so if you see this please point him at this. Ian uses the DNA MGB boot lock, as I did at first, and I wanted to confirm that this lock will cover the hole created for the MGB lock. From the measurements that I took from my MGB lock the hole in the boot is 35mm whereas the Z3 needs 37.5mm so there is enough space (I believe).

The stainless boot handle was developed as a lockdown project with Sir Percival on the dna owner's club site who lent me his rubber / plastic one to judge the overall dimensions (Thank you). The one that I've developed is different in that it fully utilises the original Z3 central locking and key locking system which means no more being locked out of the car if the battery manages to run flat over winter. If you kept (or are just starting and therefore still have) your old boot locking bits then this handle (with the included bracket and gasket) will provide you with all of the security and access that the original Z3 enjoyed.

I'm developing a second version of the handle which will not need the Z3 stuff and is intended for those that have a boot button activated solenoid but which needs the key to be turned in the lock to allow the boot lock to be activated. This second version is intended to be a slimmed down version with a smaller boot hole opening. If anyone has any particular suggestions / requirements as to what size of hole this should work with then please PM me, happy to chat. I'd like to replicate the Alfa GTA look if anyone is interested...

Meanwhile, here are some photo's of the MGB lock measurements, some shots of the boot handle itself and one of the rear lens at the end. The rear lens photo is of a space model. The actual item will be made of a different (tougher) material and will be the same colour at the original MGB lens.

Cheers
Russell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MGB 35mm diameter hole.jpg (86.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Comparison.jpg (89.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Top view.jpg (86.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Top with lock.jpg (89.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg GB 676 rear lens.jpg (96.3 KB, 27 views)
Available from eBay
Old 4th May 2022, 11:34

NeilF355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by argy View Post

I forgot to get Ian Fife's number so if you see this please point him at this.
I've messaged Ian.