Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 10th August 2009, 22:08
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Dunsmore Special

Went to a local air and car show last Sunday and came across this sublime 'Dunsmore Special'

Clearly inspired by the 1930's Alpha Romeo's, just like the Marlin's.

Interesting front suspension and steering...

Cockpit designed for the driver (and maybe just his dog?)

The boat tail was covered in leather or vinyl and straightthrough exhaust from a 6 cylinder jag engine.

I don't know much about these cars apart from this article i found on the internet.

http://www.classicmotor.co.uk/dunsmore.htm
Available from eBay
Old 11th August 2009, 12:30
Big Cheese

JG has disabled reputation

Yes very nice indeed. I like the older stuff and always have a good look at these when I go to Stoneleigh as there is always a good line up of them on the club stand. Have been meaning to list them on Madabout

John
Old 11th August 2009, 21:08
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Very nice. It's a pity that the regulations nowadays prohibit building this sort of thing. Did you note the front wing stays - 3 arms. I bet his wings don't bounce around like the Sportster's!

Robin
Old 11th August 2009, 22:52
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
Very nice. It's a pity that the regulations nowadays prohibit building this sort of thing. Did you note the front wing stays - 3 arms. I bet his wings don't bounce around like the Sportster's!

Robin
Funny that, but yes I did notice that!!

It was clearly either newly built or newly rebuilt and restored? (I supect the latter, to be honest) The tax disc said Jaguar Historic so quite when it was registered i don't know? Presumably this was from the engine donor?
I'm no epxert but I think that was Ok before the SVA was introduced.

There was no sign of the owner when I was around so didn't get a peep under the bonnet or any other details. On first sight, I thought it was an original Alpha
Old 9th January 2011, 05:25

Robert010652 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterux View Post
Funny that, but yes I did notice that!!

It was clearly either newly built or newly rebuilt and restored? (I supect the latter, to be honest) The tax disc said Jaguar Historic so quite when it was registered i don't know? Presumably this was from the engine donor?
I'm no epxert but I think that was Ok before the SVA was introduced.

There was no sign of the owner when I was around so didn't get a peep under the bonnet or any other details. On first sight, I thought it was an original Alpha
I know Dunsmore very well
The Designer Bill Haynes passed away in 1986 (I think) lived not far away from me in Midlands area in the UK.

Car was built on components of Sherpa van made by British \Layland. The Jaguar engined example is unique, Not many exist with that spec. One of them a green one made its way via Ebay to Oregon in USA which was sold again and I think it want to California . The original owner of the green one was a guy Powel who actually restores all types.
]
The car you are talking about has always been kept in that shape there are a few of them about . Designed like a true vintage
Old 16th February 2023, 15:19

petercharman is on a distinguished road

I have recently acquired a Dunsmore Mk 3 special with a 3.4 L jag engine and gear box working on various bits to get it on the road reg number VGC 560 love to hear from any other owners
Old 16th February 2023, 17:04

Default Dunsmore Special

I knew Bill Haines the builder of these who died in 1984 or thereabouts . A talented engineer.
It depends where the car is. If it is in the USA you would not have no chance as most parts are British and namely Sherpa van. There is only one in the USA which was brought to the USA and the owner things it is a real 1930's car and as such treats it like that and as no one has a clue he has crazy pricing but I don't think it is for sale.
In the UK you have a good chance though most body parts were made by Bill himself. I was only days away from ordering my car when he passed away. I am lucky that I had not yet parted with deposit. Nowadays I have a 1961 Le mans replica Morgan. I would be happy to help where I can
Regards
Bob
California
Old 16th February 2023, 17:10

Hi I am in the UK based near Gatwick, funy you should mention spares I am currently try to track some spring retaing clips for the front drum brake Austin JU 250 anyone have any idea
s?
Old 16th February 2023, 17:34

Best is to ask in the club in the UK
I am too far away for that

http://morriscommercialclub.co.uk/about-the-club/
Old 17th February 2023, 18:20
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert010652 View Post
Best is to ask in the club in the UK
I am too far away for that

http://morriscommercialclub.co.uk/about-the-club/
There is also a Dunsmore owners club listed here....but no idea if it is active?
https://www.totalkitcar.com/uk/uk-clubs/
There are usually 2 or 3 turn up at Stoneleigh each year.

Did you know your car is featured on Wikipedia?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F..._(VGC_560).JPG

Google your number plate and you'll see lots more pictures.

Good luck getting your car back on the road.
Old 17th February 2023, 18:48

I know that car Have seen in many years ago Is it in that condition still?
Bill wanted to make that similar to an Alfa 8C of the thirties.

If you ever get to know of one for sale let me know

I am not sure if the club is still active

Most folks I know they try to disguise the car identity and not admit is a special. I am sorry to say. It is what it is
The one which came to the USA is shown here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dunsmore 14.jpg (101.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 18th February 2023, 12:45

redratbike is on a distinguished road

what a fantastic looking car i have never seen before
Old 19th February 2023, 14:44

My car is registered as a Dunsmore Mk 111 1967 must have been registered on the engine and gear box dates. 3.4 litre xk engine from the mid sixties. Although the history appear to suggest they were built in the mid eighties and about 18 - 25 were built.

I embrace the name and that it is a special and won't try to say it is anything else I don't considered it to be a kit car, what do you think ?

Not sure if the club is active anymore

I am putting wire wheels on mine 16 x 6" 60 spoke jag wheels with Blockley tyres, have to have the hubs made special. Overhauling the brakes, reforming the front radiator shroud / grill for appearance and fitting an external vintage hand brake. Also making plinths for the Brooklands aero screens do they sit level across the car.
Old 19th February 2023, 15:29

The guy who bought the car in California (The green one I posted the picture) he insisted at that time (mist have been at least 10 years ago) that it is vintage 1937 or thereabouts. But who cares what he thinks. It is what it is . Your registration may also be that of the Sherpa running gear from British Leyland days. I know Bill had stacks of Sherpa chassis. Like I said I was about to part deposit for mine as he passed away. Club does not seen to be active any longer and even if it was it may be a club with one or two members> I think Bill used to say there were 32 units in different stages of built, not in his shop but individual constructors. One or two were total bastardized objects not even resembling a car other than 4 wheels
My little advice may be wire wheels are fine . However in order to keep to the spirit of Brooklands consider the extra expense of putting period wire wheels and avoid the current modern Dunlop 72 spokes. They would look too new for the age the car is representing and also do not put chrome. Either silver painted or body colour.My 2 cents https://www.morganexperience.com/reg...R504863.43823/ This is my Le Mans Morgan

Last edited by Robert010652; 19th February 2023 at 15:37.. Reason: trying to insert a picture
Old 19th February 2023, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert010652 View Post
The guy who bought the car in California (The green one I posted the picture) he insisted at that time (mist have been at least 10 years ago) that it is vintage 1937 or thereabouts. But who cares what he thinks. It is what it is . Your registration may also be that of the Sherpa running gear from British Leyland days. I know Bill had stacks of Sherpa chassis. Like I said I was about to part deposit for mine as he passed away. Club does not seen to be active any longer and even if it was it may be a club with one or two members> I think Bill used to say there were 32 units in different stages of built, not in his shop but individual constructors. One or two were total bastardized objects not even resembling a car other than 4 wheels
My little advice may be wire wheels are fine . However in order to keep to the spirit of Brooklands consider the extra expense of putting period wire wheels and avoid the current modern Dunlop 72 spokes. They would look too new for the age the car is representing and also do not put chrome. Either silver painted or body colour.My 2 cents https://www.morganexperience.com/reg...R504863.43823/ This is my Le Mans Morgan
Love the Morgan very much the look of what I have in mind for the Dunsmore silver painted wire wheels however will have to be modern considering cost

I will try and post some photos in the week
Old 19th February 2023, 18:32

I bought the Morgan at a base price but spend 3 times the purchase cost in the 2 year Covid period to get it right. On the top of that the cost of labour about 200 hours at $100 per hour. But the result is a beast. The thrill on a 50mile trip on the motorway (freeway here in California) is worth every dime spent on that car
Very soon I learnt that you can do things cheaply but at the end you will have to pay again to do it properly
Everything on that car is new from 5 speed gearbox to Le mans Steering wheel if I had to calculate what it cost me at the end I may have an heart attack. It is not expensive if you do it one time and it is right. I also think that you may need to get larger wheels for it to look period Thank you for your complement on Morgan