Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Chat > General chatter

General chatter This is the place to talk about anything kit car related that doesn't come under any of the other categories

Old 27th April 2023, 09:45

IanA is on a distinguished road
Default Malvern Show 3-4 June 2023

Now that Malvern has replaced Stoneleigh as the location for the National Kit Car Show:

Malvern Show Tickets 3-4 June 2023

nationalkitcarshow.co.uk/tickets/

Advance Tickets
FREE daily entry for kit car drivers
Kit Car Passenger (Day) ukp10
Adult (Day) ukp12
Child (Day) 12-16 yrs ukp5
Camping Kit Car Driver ukp10
Camping Kit Car Passenger ukp20
Camping Non Kit Car Adult ukp35
Camping Child (12-16 yrs) ukp5

On The Door Tickets
FREE daily entry for kit car drivers
Kit Car Passenger (Day) ukp15
Adult (Day) ukp15
Child (Day) 12-16 yrs ukp5
Camping Kit Car Driver ukp15
Camping Kit Car Passenger ukp30
Camping Non Kit Car Adult ukp45
Camping Child (12-16 yrs) ukp5

+ukp1 shipping fee
Available from eBay
Old 28th April 2023, 18:14

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

The organisers could make this a larger event by thinking outside the box a little. The nearby town of Tewkesbury held an enormous classic car event up until last year. It became so successful the council shut it down because all the roads in the area were clogged up for hours ! The show had a large contingent of kit cars as well as classics so a very large interest in this area.
Social media might reach out to a wider audience but reliance on magazine adverts won't reach the right people.
I hope the event is a success that it deserves to be, I'll call by at some point over the weekend. Whilst in the area you might want to call in at the Morgan visitor centre. Open from 08.30 - 14.00 on Saturday, you can see the latest cars in the showroom and their shop. Nice cafe there too !
Nearby Shelsey Walsh Hill Climb is hosting an event the same days so make a weekend of it, its a great day out in its own right !
Old 29th April 2023, 10:53

I agree about the area. We rented a holiday cottage a few years ago up at Wych Crossing. A super location with great views.
I went to a few "Cars In The Park" shows which were mainly Midland Buggy Club benefits. They held races in the field opposite the main entrance. One year it was wet so everything got covered in mud. Another year it was dry so there was dust everywhere.
With this being the replacement for Stoneleigh, this year at least it will be self-perpetuating. However, it will have to be good to keep people coming back. I do miss the spares and clothing traders but it's easy to price yourself out of the market for those concerns.
Old 29th April 2023, 17:08

Just gone through the exhibitor list, surprised a few names aren't there, Stafford Vehicle Components supply to the classic, vintage and kitcar owners. They have been at Stoneleigh and all the other shows in the past, not on the list this year. Their warehouse is less than 1/2 mile from the show ground but I'm not sure they're open weekends. They stock everything and are cheaper than the likes of Europa. I've used them extensively when building all my projects. Might give them a heads up to see if they are even aware of the event.
Here is their website
https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/contact-us

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 29th April 2023 at 17:23..
Old 3rd May 2023, 17:10

I've used SVC as well.

Not sure if Grosvenor aren't testing the water with this. My take would have been to contact every supplier who had ever exhibited at Stoneleigh offering them a cut-price (maybe half-price) deal for an early deposit.
Old 3rd May 2023, 18:30

I've had a pitch at a couple of the events at the showground. They aren't expensive to start with. The Severn Hall which is the hall where the indoor trade part of the show is to be held is quite small so I hope they manage to fill it. The auto jumble events hosted there use all of large cattle sheds to the side of the Severn Hall and are about 5 times the size of Severn Hall. They are usually filled with traders.

When will the kit car show organisers host a " Kit Car & Classics " event, it seems a no brainer to combine a common interest. The wider mainstream Classic Car magazines feature kit cars and replica's these days. Classic & Sports Car even did a big feature on Peter Filby recently !!
Ebay's classic car section has more kitcars than the kit car section !
Old 4th May 2023, 09:21

There's a name from the past. I met PF when he was writing his first TVR book "Against All the Odds". He didn't use any of my photos. He had a Unipower GT and a Camber at the time.
Old 5th May 2023, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
...When will the kit car show organisers host a " Kit Car & Classics " event, it seems a no brainer to combine a common interest. The wider mainstream Classic Car magazines feature kit cars and replica's these days. ...
The line between them has been blurred for years. I see that the classic 1957 "Maserati" navigated by Clive Myrie in his BBC series "CM's Italian Road Trip" episode 15 was built in Fulham, West London with bodywork from Kingston-upon-Thames. It does have a Maserati engine so- a kit car !!!

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All..../1676.150S.htm

Last edited by IanA; 5th May 2023 at 10:11..
Old 5th May 2023, 19:17

You won't find them using the term " Kit Car " even if that is effectively what those builds amount to. The higher quality, higher end kit manufacturers that had aspirations to move forward, onward and upward moved away from the traditional Kit Car scene years ago. Some were never really part of it and didn't want to be associated with the amateur / home built aspect of the scene. A lot of these cars were bespoke cars built by their owners / ultra small time manufacturers from the ground up and hence creating original cars in their own right or a very limited run rather than a purchased body / chassis from a kit car supplier. It wouldn't be fair to put them in the same basket but to the ill informed they are one and the same because they aren't mainstream, household names.

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 5th May 2023 at 19:51..
Old 8th May 2023, 23:37

If you are camping at the showground, facilities are very very basic and expensive. I can recommend the nearby Blackmore campsite which is a similar price to a pre booked pitch at the showground { much cheaper for non kitcar drivers / passengers,} but with all the facilities you would want !

Last edited by Lucky@LeMans; 8th May 2023 at 23:48..
Old 21st May 2023, 20:00

A big sign has appeared at the showground this weekend advertising the event. According to the sign they are ," expecting 1000's " of kit cars at the show so perhaps it will be really outstanding this year.
Old 25th May 2023, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
..." expecting 1000's " of kit cars at the show...
I hope they're right. Ultimately the numbers will depend on the weather but at least there'll be no ice on the tents in June.
Old 28th May 2023, 08:46

I'll call in on the Saturday to have a look and catch up with a few folk. Would be rude not to as I'm only 2 miles from the showground !
I noticed on the organisers website that free entry extends to "classics" in general and "sports" cars so they've opened it up a little !
Old 28th May 2023, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
I hope they're right. Ultimately the numbers will depend on the weather but at least there'll be no ice on the tents in June.
The weather forecast is stunning for next weekend !
Old 4th June 2023, 17:24

I went on Saturday as planned, all in all was a great day ! Managed to catch up with several people I haven't seen for a while. Everyone I spoke to thought the event was a success given the current climate and accepting the market for "kit cars" isn't what it once was. The Three Counties Showground is looking its best at this time of year, the owners have been investing in the place, it is a very successful venue now, the same can't be said for Stoneleigh. The club stands were well represented in most cases and what was on offer in the main exhibition hall was high standard and professionally presented. A shame the organisers couldn't attract a few more exhibitors, there were a few notable absences but at least the hall was full to capacity !
I hope the show returns next year along with the unbroken sunshine the whole weekend !
Old 5th June 2023, 08:43

Agreed, it's a super venue with that view and the facilities put Stoneleigh to shame. One of the two Tributes with asking prices of GBP35k each is reported as sold.
New friends made and networks extended in a weekend of super weather.
I took my TFS in on Friday then went home on Saturday to attend to the cats we're looking after and returned in my Jago. A total of 260 miles in open cars in superb weather. The exhaust on the Jago broke 40 miles from home but luckily didn't drop before I could secure it with some wire. Noisy but I use earplugs anyway to dampen the noise of other traffic.
Old 6th June 2023, 10:28

Car photographer is on a distinguished road

I went on saturday, nice day, good weather, the site was good, obviously if there were more traders and cars it would be better - but a good day nevertheless, it was great to meet a couple of people from this site there too!
The only downside I had was that I couldn't find any cleaning products there amongst the trade stands - a magazine there wanted to photograph my Fiorano there, but it was a bit dirty and I couldn't find anything to clean it with.
Old 6th June 2023, 19:23

It wouldn't be hard for the organisers to offer an exclusive arrangement to a trader to offer such products. The other extreme is when you go to a show there is nothing but cleaning products and chocolate tools !
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
...went home on Saturday to attend to the cats we're looking after and returned in my Jago. ...
The view on Saturday afternoon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jago Malvern June 2023.jpg (97.8 KB, 5 views)