Are you madabout kit cars      
 "We've Got Kit Cars Covered" Information about Madabout-Kitcars.com Contact Madabout-Kitcars.com         Home of UK kit cars - madabout-kitcars.com Various kit car write ups All the latest kit car news Kit car related and general discussion

Search
Manufacturers
Kit Cars
Kit Car Data sheets
Picture Gallery
SVA Knowledgebase
Clubs & Communities
Build cost estimator
Kit cars for sale
Knowledge Base 
KitcarUSA.com
Classic-Kitcars.com

Go Back   Madabout Kitcars Forum > Mad Build Area > Tribute Automotive Builds

Tribute Automotive Builds Discuss your Tribute kit build

Old 19th November 2022, 07:26

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

Slight hijack - back to the electric Z300S, Tom has been in contact about his build. He is pretty advanced and was asking about the boot fitting. The mix of motor, battery etc don't, IMHO, make it a sporty alternative to ICE but rather a fun project for him with his daughter.

The whole fear and ignorance around electric cars is mildly amusing. Yes, it can be dangerous and you can kill yourself if you do the wrong thing. Very similar to petrol cars where you shouldn't use a match to check if the fuel tank is empty etc. Once you know your way around electricity and the danger points it is actually fairly simple to work with and a lot easier to get working than a retro-fit petrol engine would be as most stuff is making the brackets and then plugging the components together.

Having said that, as soon as I sell my Z300S, my DS911 project will still be ICE for the joy of the complexity and drive experience.
Old 19th November 2022, 15:00

Lucky@LeMans is on a distinguished road

As soon as a list of used plug and play parts are available this whole electric thing will become viable ( for me anyway! ). At the moment purchasing new components is just too much money. It shouldn't be the case imo, all you need is a motor, speed controller and a battery, how simple is that ?
Old 19th November 2022, 17:08

IanA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
... all you need is a motor, speed controller and a battery, how simple is that ?
For a basic low-ish power, short range conversion that would be OK. A mate in the Jago club just replaced the engine in his Fiat 850 with a fork-lift truck motor and added a few lead-acid type batteries and a basic speed controller.

To do a professional job, there are a few more things to consider. There's cooling for various components and the small matter of balancing the cells if using Li-Ion batteries. Smooth speed control is not simple as it is dependent on the spec of the motor used. I'm told that Tesla motors, whilst powerful are a bit on or off!!!
Old 19th November 2022, 20:52

Another hobby I'm into is flying RC aeroplanes, RC jets to be precise. Whilst the proper gas turbine are available, the electric powered options are far more popular and affordable. There are so many plug and play options with regard to motors, speed controllers and batteries as well as fast balance chargers etc. Shame this technology hasn't moved into the car world , yet !

Here is an example of a current product that is simply plug and play. The Viper Jet, a 90mm diameter electric ducted fan ( EDF ) model with a 6 cell lithium polymer battery, plus a great pilot !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns0FYGQvCJw
Old 19th November 2022, 21:45

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

To do a professional job, there are a few more things to consider. There's cooling for various components and the small matter of balancing the cells if using Li-Ion batteries. Smooth speed control is not simple as it is dependent on the spec of the motor used. I'm told that Tesla motors, whilst powerful are a bit on or off!!!

...but a bit like with ICE cars, you can get groups of components already lumped together so it isn't as hard as it might first seem. When you do a normal engine swap, you don't start buying the pistons , block, cylinder head etc separately.
I think for the electric Z300S it is something like a Leaf motor, Mitsubishi controller and something else for the batteries.

I am sure we will be playing with this stuff 2nd hand in the not too distant future. I have a crap Nissan Leaf which I might nick the motors and controllers from, get a new battery and see what is around to stick that lot into. Not yet, but not too far away.
Old 20th November 2022, 11:54

Here is a more automotive related video using RC components in a gokart application. Whilst no where near enough power for a full size car like a Z3, it might open up options in the ultra light kit car scene , maybe ! Perhaps one motor per corner in something like a Raw Striker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG7sEFBNiSQ
Old 27th April 2023, 09:40

Malvern Show Tickets 3-4 June 2023

nationalkitcarshow.co.uk/tickets/

Advance Tickets
FREE daily entry for kit car drivers
Kit Car Passenger (Day) ukp10
Adult (Day) ukp12
Child (Day) 12-16 yrs ukp5
Camping Kit Car Driver ukp10
Camping Kit Car Passenger ukp20
Camping Non Kit Car Adult ukp35
Camping Child (12-16 yrs) ukp5

On The Door Tickets
FREE daily entry for kit car drivers
Kit Car Passenger (Day) ukp15
Adult (Day) ukp15
Child (Day) 12-16 yrs ukp5
Camping Kit Car Driver ukp15
Camping Kit Car Passenger ukp30
Camping Non Kit Car Adult ukp45
Camping Child (12-16 yrs) ukp5

+ukp1 shipping fee
Old 3rd July 2023, 11:38

Saw this Z300S at Malvern. It's number 6 and lives in Shropshire.

That's a Bertini behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z300S No6 Malvern 2023.jpg (97.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:15

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Newark Festival.....
Entry for kitcar drivers is free both days.
When I 'phoned to enquire about camping....... CAMPING IS ALSO FREE FOR KITCAR DRIVERS So NO excuses Guys and Gals!
Old 14th November 2023, 15:55

I've just MOTed the Z300S for the 9th time after a measly 300 miles in the year.
No problems with the emissions test rig like last year.