Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 6th June 2023, 12:17

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Back Axle Progress.

Scratching around the various back axle bits and pieces the other day to see what was required, I was delighted to find a pair of new wheel cylinders, for which I ordered a fitting kit and rubbers. I also bought a small bag of 5/16-24 x3/4" set screws so that the half-shaft retaining plates could have their full complement. All the brake shoe fittings are present, the shoes themselves have plenty of meat, so I turned my attention to the backplates and drums. After a good wire brushing the former looked serviceable (although one had a couple of 8mm looking holes drilled in it, presumably to facilitate blacksmith style drum removal). The latter came up OK, except for the friction surfaces. One was grooved by previous shoes' rivets and the other had some pitting.

All three of my previously used light engineering workshops having closed, I searched on line finding another only a couple of miles away which looked hopeful. I whizzed over there this morning where the somewhat surly receptionist said "I'll find someone for you." The bloke who came to look at the drums asked what they were from: it turned out he's a kit enthusiast and pilots a turbocharged Pinto engined Robin Hood 2B. We chatted kit cars for a few minutes - he'd been to the show - then said "Come back tomorrow", hinting that he might be able to skim them as a 'foreigner'. Serendipity!

Hopefully I might actually be able to soon start some re-assembly .

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 6th June 2023 at 12:18.. Reason: Smiley.