View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:27
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Hi Terry at DeHavilland Motor Co. I've just had a look at your pictures on Facebook and I must say congratulations! There are some fascinating pictures there and it is very refreshing to see a manufacturer being so open and transparent. Long may you continue to keep open communication with your customers and potential customers.

I have a couple of questions for you from my perspective. These are meant to be supportive. I have always loved the original Dino for its looks and its Italian sporting and racing spirit. I also love the idea of kit cars - taking a fresh concept and a pick and mix bag of production car parts. Messing around in the garage to create something you can be proud of is as a big a part of the fun as the driving and camaraderie of the kit car community. Questions:

1. The body looks good and the chassis well-made but have you taken any professional advice about chassis strength and torsional rigidity? Using subframes and suspension from the MG will ensure well-developed structure and suspension, steering, braking for those parts but the structure joining them will need to be ultra stiff and strong to work well.
2. Have you thought about getting closer to replica look, perhaps as an option? Maybe original style 5x108 Cromodora wheels? Real Carello lights? The correctness of the detail look is important to me although I know many others aren't concerned about such details.
3. I like the V6 option idea. Let's not forget the Dino was born out of a plan to homologate the formula 1 Ferrari V6 engine so it could be used in F2. Maybe Rover/MG V6 engines would be in the right spirit (my choice would be an Alfa V6 because its "in the family" so to speak). Powerful, sonorous, high-revving sporty delivery....

All the best for your venture
Ross, in NZ