View Single Post
Old 11th July 2023, 18:48
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

I have been making slow progress once again. This getting old certainly slows things down a bit. Plus the more than occaisional holiday...

The chassis is finally all cleaned and primered. I am going to coach paint the bodywork so I thought I would practice on the chassis. This means a further coat of primer, 2 x undercoat and 2 x topcoat. Could take some time, especially as I am going to do it in two halves - first the front as far as the windscreen and then the rear. There is a convinient weld in the chassis at this point to which I can paint up to. I have also painted the front and rear bulkheads. I remade these from zintec some time ago and, although rust resistant, are not rust proof.

chassis_in_primer by Robin Martin, on Flickr

The plan was always to convert the car to cycle wings but I have seen a few Marlins where this has been done but where the rear wings were retained. So I have dug them out of the weeds and given them a clean. Before and after picture.

rear_wings_clean by Robin Martin, on Flickr

One of them though has a real bodge with part of it being ground away. I assume this was to aid fitting - who knows. Anyway, I don't like bodges so I have started to repair this.

rear_wing_bodge by Robin Martin, on Flickr

While the fibreglass is out, and my hands itching, I am also modifying the radiator surround, no pictures yet though...