View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2023, 21:07
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Slow progress....

Not much to report on due to other commitments but I am slowly working my way through a list of things to do before applying for my IVA test.
One of the things on the list was to set up the speedo with the correct calibration setting based on my new wheels and tyres, etc. After setting the speedo, I raised the rear of the car on axle stands so I could run through the gears and see if the speedo works which it did fine.
But, when I first started the engine it made a dreadful noise and ran very roughly. I think one of the hydraulic lifters had drained (or stuck?) and took a while to work properly. It cleared after about 5 minutes but the episode reminded me it was probably time to change the engine oil.
I also figured it would not be a bad idea to flush the old oil so I bought a can of Wynns engine flush to clear out any crud. Following the instructions, I added the can of liquid to the engine oil and allowed the engine to idle for 20 minutes.
Then whilst still hot I drained the old oil which came out black showing the flushing agent had worked.
With my new 15" wheels and 80 profile tyres there is now sufficient clearance under the car to slide my plastic oil draining 'can' underneath without the need to jack up the car. And the oil drain plug is in a convenient position so that it can be reached with an extra long extension bar on my 1/2" ratchet.

Oil change April 2023 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr
(You can make out the sump and oil draining out in the centre of this picture. The black plastic oil draining can is on the ground beneath the chassis above.)

After leaving the old oil to drain over lunch, I changed the oil filter which is so easy on this engine and I was pleased to find the new Bosch filter came with all the necessary seals and 'o' rings. I refiitted the sump plug with a new seal and refilled with Millers Oil. I chose this oil as it meets BMW spec and is a reasonable price.

Oil change April 2023 by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I was pleased that on start up the engine ran smoother than ever.
Until next update...............

.............peter