Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2023, 06:43

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Dutton Nostalgia...

Thinking about next weekend's Kit Car Show, just up the road in Malvern, I thought I'd dig out some 80s memorabilia . My first show was in '87, by which time I was DOC magazine editor, and we had just shy of 100 cars on our stand! In those days one was issued a windscreen sticker (which poseurs like me kept in their Phaeton for a couple of weeks).

In the same happy memories box I found entry and camping tickets for Le Mans. The first couple at least were in my first Phaeton, subsequent ones in my matt black Dutton Sierra, dubbed 'The Stealth' by compatriots.

For the first few visits we camped at the sites within the circuit, then discovered Hunadieres behind the restaurant outside the circuit half way down the Mulsanne Straight (sadly by then ruined, IMO, by the addition of chicanes). At this site you just turned up, pitched your tent, and a guy came round with a book of tickets. A much nicer site altogether,

Happy Days!

Back to the build: I searched high and low for the diff gasket I'd bought at the same time as the 4.1, but without success so bought another which arrived yesterday. I now have all the necessary for this job, Monday it is! I'd decided a week or so ago to renew the half shaft bearings and bought same. An inquiry of the ever helpful Stroud and District Motor Club FB group for an engineering workshop who could fit them elicited a response, and later this morning I'm taking them there (ten miles or so) for the job to be done. The proprietor said he's very busy and wouldn't get around to it for a couple of weeks. Not a problem with plenty of other jobs to be addressed down in the scorching cave.

Regards, Mick