Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2023, 11:49

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Other tasks taking precedence yesterday, I only returned to the cave this morning, brimming with enthusiasm and determination. I adjusted the mole grips until a mighty heave was required to lock them in place. Lamping the errant nut until the burning nylon and penetrating oil fumes half choked me, I applied gorilla strength to the grips. They rounded the nut even further. OK, re-think. Fetching my smallest cold chisel, and sharpening it on my bench grinder, I chopped off the cage containing the remains of the nylon and set to driving the remains anti-clockwise with lump hammer blows until the still hot nut yielded. Hurrah! I then wormed into position to release the three remaining at the bottom. These turned out to be barely finger tight . The copious gasket goo (no gasket!) offered little resistance and the drip tray proved its worth!

It then dawned on me that, although I had the new gasket, half inch AF nuts were sadly lacking, so it was back to the keyboard for their purchase and this update.

Regards, Mick