Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2023, 08:01

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Bye Bye Blackbird.

Sometime mid-week Mr Squirrel had eggs for breakfast, so the cave is now free again. Hurrah!

Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and swap the differential for my 4.1. To improve access I turned the frame around and set to work in the sun. Starting on the off-side I removed the wheel, then the spacer, together with its pillar bolts. The drum only needed gentle tapping to come off, the shoes offered no resistance, so I now had access to the screws (three only in place!) securing the retaining plate. They were a little fiddly, being masked somewhat by the flange, but were soon off. I suspended the backplate with a loop of the ever-useful paracord as I didn't want to disturb any of the braking gubbins at this stage. I replaced the drum back to front as an impromptu slide hammer and the half shaft was out. Repeat for near side.

Pessimism dictated a drip tray in case any hypoy was left in the banjo, and I cushioned the cross member with a chunky fleece before sitting down to attack the retaining nuts (again, three only). The one at the top not having been bathed in oil dribbles was very rusty, as was the stud. Unfortunately, it was a Nyloc, one of my pet hates, so I could get neither a socket nor a ring spanner onto the meat of the hex due to the casting masking its bottom side. Aaaaaaargh!. An open-ender proved ineffectual, even after a blast with the blow lamp, so I gave up after giving it a good soaking with penetrating liquid. I shall resume with mole grips later today.

Regards, Mick