View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:05
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default IVA Corrections (Part 2)

(Okay, so Part 1 posted okay, I had to leave out apostrophes so apologies for the grammar)

So after checking the interior, he then checked all the exterior. I had put little covers over the ends of the bonnet hinge, seat belt mounting, and modified the boot handle so that it had no sharp edges. I had even put some clear tubing over the windscreen wiper arms which brought a smile but he said this was not necessary. He then measured the dimensions and position of all the lights and checked visibility from the front and rear of the car. No issues on where raised on the exterior but he had noticed that there was a lot of play between between the brake pedal and the master cylinder which meant the brake lights were permanently on as the pedal had dropped and the on the Sabre the brake light switch is on the pedal. This was my first issue that had to be corrected before the final 'official test' and I agreed that this was serious and needed investigation and correction as clearly something was amiss.

Once back home I checked all the obvious things but did not find anything. I removed the master cylinder and found there was a small narrowing of the internal bore and concluded that the brake pedal push rod had been resting on the ledge when I first installed it. During the drive to the test station the push rod had settled in the bottom of the piston bore thus creating the gap.

Here is a picture of the piston bore and the original pushrod which was mushroom shaped.

IVA Corrections by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So I re-shaped the end of the push rod so that this will not happen again. I then had to re-install the master cylinder, adjust the push rod and bleed the brakes.

Here is the re-shaped push rod end......

(I am going to pause again due to the forum software...)