Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 21st November 2023, 15:31

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Snip snip snipping...

Many thanks for input and interest guys, it's good to know .

Yesterday I decided to offer up the tank to its boot home and maybe make a start on cutting the relocated filler holes, one in the rear deck and the other in the top of the tank. Now, why won't the tank fit where TDW intended? D'Oh! Thinking back to '84 I remembered that I'd had to cut off the front and rear flanges as I clearly would have to do again. I briefly considered fetching the disc cutter to it but my modicum of enthusiasm had evaporated as it often does when such setbacks occur .

Anyway, today I wandered down to have another look and decided to have a go. My hands aren't the steadiest these days so I again dismissed disc cutter thoughts and resigned myself to an age of awkward hacksawing. Then I had a Damascene moment, wondering if my tin snips would be man enough for the job? On the contrary, my initial effort revealed that it was me who was lacking in the wrist tendon department . However, by slipping handy lengths of one inch box over the grips to multiply the leverage I was able to successfully tackle that part of the job

Offering up the slightly slimmer tank my efforts were rewarded, albeit with a bit of a struggle. The rounded corners of the tank matched exactly with the cut in the front of the boot floor, showing that its twin had once sat there.

I measured the gap between the tank's top and the underneath of the rear deck and, having had a play with the Spitfire filler and the length of tube which will bridge that gap, decided that it didn't need cutting as it will slide into the yet to be cut hole in the tank before TIGing. I marked the outline of the deck hole, drilled a couple of pilot holes for the padsaw and called it a day, well satisfied that another small hurdle had been cleared.

Regards, Mick