View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2023, 09:14
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default IVA Corrections

For completeness on this thread I thought I ought to document the list of issues raised at my IVA test and how I resolved them. It may just help someone else get through their IVA. Whilst the IVA manual is a comprehensive document in black and white, many areas are open to interpretation by the inspector and I also think it depends a bit on what catches his eye on the day of the test. He started by asking me when the Sabre was produced and when I said '1994' he said some something like 'oh dear, we are going to have some issues with this' so I think this set his frame of mind.

The test follows a sequence of tests that starts with the exhaust emissions. The first run failed so he manually ran the engine at about 2000-3000 revs whist watching the CO2 and HC results on his test equipment. He ran it for about 5 minutes to warm up the CAT. After that it passed with flying colours and he was impressed by the results.
He then got into the car and checked all the interior controls, steering, wipers, seat belts, etc. He was looking for any sharp edges but couldnt find any.
He then checked the height of the seat belt mounting height and visibility through the windscreen with a contraption called 'Nigel'. It is a contraption consisting of a stand that sits on the seats and has strings and spirit levels for checking various dimensions. Everything passed. I have a very early Sabre where the seat belt shoulder mount is too low to meet the IVA requirement. To get round this I have modified the mounting point to be slightly higher by raising the diagonal bar that runs back to the chassis. I also have some well used MX5 seats that I deliberately didn't get reupholstered that are mounted as low as possible to the floor. There is no carpet under the seats to get them as low as possible.
I have documented the seat belt modification before but here is a picture of how I raised the support point.

Seatbelt support by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

(I am going to pause now as I dont want loose all that I have written due to the dodgy forum software)

Last edited by peterux; 23rd July 2023 at 09:16.. Reason: additional comment