View Single Post
Old 26th February 2023, 20:33
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

So as mentioned above I had to move the car across the garage by about 12" to give me space to fit the drivers door and I decided to retrieve the boot lid from the loft above while the car was out.. It was a nice sunny day so a good excuse to take another picture. It looks almost finished but of course at this stage it still had no driver's door or boot lid.

Moving by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The first job before fitting the driver's door was to add some protection to the wall of my garage so I don't damage the door when I open it. I used a cheap yoga mat off ebay.

Door protection by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then fitted the driver's door which looks exactly like the passenger door so no photo's. But I didn't photo the door stay before so.....
The door stay on the Sabre is a simple device that passes through a hole in the hinge plate to stop the door opening too far. The original plating had rusted on mine so I had them chrome plated.

Door stay by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Here you can see the door stay being fitted. A 6mm nut and bolt hold it to the angle brackets on the door.

Door stay by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then moved on to fitting the boot lid. I prepared the boot lid by first cleaning off some old masking tape and then giving it a good polish. I trial fitted the hinges to make sure everything lined up. The boot lid is very well engineered, being a double skinned GRP structure with metal plates bonded inside to take the bolts of the hinges and boot stay.

Boot lid preparation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The Sabre boot lid catch is taken from a VW beetle engine cover and I picked up a new catch at the Donnington kitcar show many years ago. The original builder made a bit of a pigs ear out of cutting the hole but you don't notice it once the boot lid is fitted.

Boot lid catch by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I also fitted the chrome strip. (sorry about the bad photo)

Boot lid preparation by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

My son popped in on Saturday so I roped him in to help me fit the boot lid. I spent over an hour lining it up as the hinges are adjustable. Boot seal is not fitted yet nor the catch striker pin. I expect to have do some more adjustment once the seal is fitted.

Boot lid fitted by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

So that is the last major part of the bodywork fitted

Lots of minor jobs to do but nearly there......

....peter