Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:31

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Nibbling away...

Yesterday I decided to offer up the Talbot Sunbeam cross member again and have another head scratch: after lots more measuring, including some ground clearance guesswork, I concluded that it could be used if positioned under the Dutton's frame. I clamped it roughly in position, tapped it back and forth until it sat correctly, and checked that there was sufficient edge to the mating surfaces for secure welding. I took a rubbish picture in the gloom and called it a day. I will of course get all the relevant bits back to bare metal before taking it to my MIGmeister.

Today I re-checked everything and had a quick panic regarding clearance for the radiator, but my fears were allayed when I remembered that I'd be fitting an electric fan - phew!. I jacked up the front end to a convenient height, secured it to a beam with a ratchet strap, and drilled through the frame and cross member (after yet more measuring). I cut some threaded 6mm bar and bolted through, two nuts locked together and a penny washer beneath, and another above topped off with a split washer and nut. Job done .

I can now do some more dangling for gearbox mounting positioning.

Regards, Mick