View Single Post
Old 30th June 2023, 18:04
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

seems to apostrophise causing problems........
I will try again.........
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it didn’t pass and he couldn’t test the brakes as their rollers were broken!
Because of the rollers issue he couldn’t do an ‘official’ test but agreed to check the car over.
I will have to go back for the brake test and check the corrections below.

So firstly the good news....

VIN plate and stamping passed (I was bit worried as my chassis stamping wasn’t very good)
Engine emissions passed with flying colours (even though tested to the BMW spec!)
No 'sharp' edges (he didn't even get his measuring tools out)
All lights, wipers, demister, horn etc okay
All interior controls and steering passed
Seat belt mounting height passed! (so my upright mods worked)
All nylocks okay
Speedo accuracy passed okay
Mirrors and self centering passed
Noise not even measured as it is ‘obviously quiet’.

And now the things I need to fix....

Excessive play between brake pedal pushrod and master cylinder (this developed during the drive to the IVA)
Front flexible brake lines too long and touching chassis on full lock (not previously seen when I checked?)
A grommet on the wires to the starter motor had popped out (probably whilst fitting carpet)
Screw missing from one 'p' clip (??) (I had fitted the nutsert but not the screw...doh!)
Heat shield required between exhaust pipe and a rubber fuel hose (reasonable request)
Heat shield required between silencer box and fuel tank (subjective opinion)
No grommets on the wires going to rear lights (even though they are covered in PVC sheathing and going through GRP)
Top of the front tyres foul on the wings under full lock and acceleration (I need to raise the suspension a bit or get thinner spacers)

So a bit disappointing not to pass first time but not a bad result.

i hope to go for a retest in a couple of weeks..........

.................peter

Last edited by peterux; 30th June 2023 at 18:06.. Reason: rubbish forum software