Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 9th August 2022, 18:07

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Talking Bullet Bitten

Today, whilst pondering next steps and waiting for goodies from postie (no luck ), I decided to bite the bullet and remove the rear body. First job was to drill out the ten 4mm pop rivets securing the moulding to the frame. Attempting to lift it off resulted in zero movement - examination beneath revealed blacksmith style tank supports similar to the rear lower seat belt mounting one. To get the necessary access I jacked the back end high enough to get axle stands on their top setting in place, left the jack just touching the diff. and put a ratchet strap under the roll bar and over a roof beam for full belt and braces effect.

After a realistic effort at dislodging it, I felt comfortable with worming underneath armed with my decades old B&D angle grinder. The ends of one support, which looped under the tank, were fairly easily cut through (one side's biscuit strength weld to the frame parted under gravity), but the ends of the second, which ran across the tank's back, and was glassed and welded to it, were all but inaccessible. Persistence, and only one shattered cutting disc, eventually paid off . With assistance the moulding, c/w tank, was carried to join its GRP fellows tucked behind my front garden fence. The supports were then removed and the now completely skeletal rolling frame put to bed.

I think I'll now go the whole hog and take off the ally sides for my next small step.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 10th August 2022 at 06:27.. Reason: Typo.