View Single Post
Old 20th September 2012, 17:22

andrewhush is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Andrew - Nice work.

I'm just thinking about plywood panels myself and it is nice to see what others are doing.

Do you know how you are going to treat them yet?

Also...

I know the G46 is a rare breed, but I still think there would be interest in what you have done before reaching this stage. (condition of your donor, how you got the chassis in such great shape, any issues with the switch of engine, etc.).

Just a thought, Paul.
I plan to weatherproof all of the ply surfaces with one layer of chopped strand mat and polyester resin. I will use a couple of extra layers for strength along where the ply meets the grp body.

Chassis was very good when I got it (in 1996!). I only had to weld on new front outriggers and side rails and a couple of small patches near the back before getting it hot dip galvanised. The engine swap came about because I wanted better fuel economy, similar performance and lighter weight than the original ford setup. The sr20 nissan engine has an alloy block and head and the type 9 gearbox is lighter than the overdrive box it is replacing. I had assumed that a serena or sx200 reardrive gearbox would fit my primera engine but the blocks are different, hence the homemade adapter plate and ford t9 box. The bellhousing is the frontwheel drive one unbolted from the frontwheel drive gearbox with the bit that housed the diff carefully removed (with an anglegrinder). Centering the bellhousing up with gearbox was easy using the outer race of one of the gearbox ball bearings as a spigot.

The engine is longer than the ford v6 and it has the distributor at the back of the head where it would interfere with the scimitar bulkhead. However the engine /gearbox combination puts the gearstick approx 5" further back moving the driver/steering wheel/ pedals /bulkhead further back as well. Exactly where I am going to put the front bulkhead is yet to be decided.

Last edited by andrewhush; 20th September 2012 at 17:45.. Reason: missed a bit