View Single Post
Old 18th October 2009, 02:42
Enthusiast

rossnzwpi is on a distinguished road

Hi,
"The best way I can see is to weld up the one offending holes and then re-drill and re-tap the five new holes to suit the wheels. Spigot ring can be made to suit so the wheel sit centrally on the hub."

that's right - going from 4 stud to 5 stud is a clash geometrically speaking. Your option of welding up the original holes then redrilling was tried by a friend of mine without any known problems - but I guess you'd have to know what you were doing with respect to strength/temper etc. Dino wheels were originally a lightweight aluminium / magnesium alloy with the brand name electron. Of course if you are going from a 4 stud 108 pcd wheel to a 5 stud 108 pcd then one stud / hole can remain and the other 4 be redrilled - this solves the geometry problem! Volvo, Ford, Peugeot, etc used this PCD. Of course you need to check the structure of the centre of the wheel - no redrilling is recommended if there isn't a thick area for the new holes. I'm not an engineer so don't just take my word for it but I have seen many many redrilled wheels driving around. If you look back at my earlier posts you'll see a fuller discussion of this
Cheers
Ross