Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 9th June 2023, 07:44

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky@LeMans View Post
Depending on how far out they are could you fit an alternative bearing or get a spacer made up ?
Sounds like you have found an old school engineering shop, I'd give them something as thanks if you go back again !
When I collected the half-shafts there was a young (well, to me ) lad only there. He said they were basically a garage: their only two machines were an hydraulic press and spring compressor. I looked at the brake drum establishment's web site and they have the lot! In their tiny reception area there were quite a few amazing CNC machined exhibits to admire.

The bearing is too fat, so when it's home against its register the retaining plate is clear of the axle's flange.

When the correct bearings arrive, as well as the half-shafts, I'll take my ally hubs with me for their bearing races to be pressed in - I don't fancy risking the 'socket and lump hammer' method. Yesterday I examined the existing front hubs and decided to remove the PCD adapters in case they were of use to anyone. Answer = No! I think they were not only machined from a neutron star but had stripped attachment threads.

Regards, Mick