View Single Post
Old 5th April 2008, 17:11
Kit Car Dreamer

SteffanHughes is on a distinguished road
Default Robin Hood Bonnet Failure

My garage were servicing a Robin Hood V8 powered seven and the owner, like me an oldie took out the car on test.

Both the owner and the mechanic checked the bonnet locks as part of their routine procedures when servicing before testing cars. I am satisfied the locks were applied correctly.

500 yards down the road the bonnet flew off striking the windscreen and snapping off BOTH screen supports and the complete screen assembly.

The bonnet then struck my pal across the hands on the steering wheel causing very painful injuries.

Clearly there is a real problem here.

This should not happen and there must be a reason relating to the design or construction for such repeated failures.

If the screen had been absent or Aero Screens been fitted I think my pal could have been decapitated.

Damage to the car was minimal anyone got any thoughts as to why this is repeatedly happening.

Incidentally this car is very difficult to drive at speed 75% weight up front sod all grip at rear = over steer which makes a 911 Turbo driven right on the edge in a 360 spin seen docile.