View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2023, 10:52
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default IVA corrections (Part 3)

(okay, so Part 2 posted okay, so I'll carry on..........)

Following the external checks I was asked drive the car on to the ramp and remain in the car. He then raised the car on the ramp and I stayed in the car to operate the controls. Moving the steering from lock to lock, with and without the engine running he was under the car inspecting for anything untoward.
Following this he showed me the following list of issues....
1. He wasn't happy about the front flexible brake pipes claiming they touched the chassis or suspension when I turned the steering.
Here is a picture of my front flexible brake hose before modification.

IVA Corrections by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

To resolve this I put an extra small bracket attached to the chassis to hold the hose in position and away from anything.

2. The next issue was a 'p' clip with a missing fixing screw. Easily fixed.
3. He then pointed out a wiring grommet that had popped out when fitting the carpets, again easily fixed in place with some RTV silicone sealant.
4. Next, he pointed out that the exhaust was a little too close to one of the fuel hoses.

This is a picture of the hose and exhaust pipe during installation....

(The fuel hose in this picture is middle right)

To resolve this I bought some heat shield and fabricated it to fit above the exhaust pipe.

5. He also thought the fuel tank was bit close to the exhaust silencer. Had this been the only issue I think I would have challenged him on this point because the silencer box does not get very hot, the fuel tank is steel and there is a two inch gap between the two. But by this time there was no point in arguing . To resolve this issue I attached a sheet of self adhesive heat shield to the fuel tank.

6. He then pointed out that he thought there should be grommets on the rear light wires where they pass through the GRP bodywork even though the wires are sheathed in PVC sleeving.

I didnt feel this was necessary but he agreed a blob of RTV silicon would be a satisfactory solution.

7. The last issue was found while he was road testing the car. Following the tests on the ramp he checked the speedo on the rollers (which passed) and drove the car outside to check the mirrors and noise. The mirrors passed and he didnt measure the noise as he could tell it would pass. He then drove the car round the test station to check a dynamic brake test and check the steering self centering. Whilst driving the car round in circles on full lock he could hear one of the tyres rubbing on the underside of the front wing. I eventually resolved this issue but putting steering limiters inside the steering rack gaiters. However, at the 'official' second test this was not re-checked

That's all the issues and corrections. As mentioned above at the 'official' test all these items were passed and the brake test conducted.

I hope this may be of some help to other builders for some of the things to look out for.

I have now got quite a long list of post IVA modifications to do to get my Sabre finished.

................peter