View Single Post
Old 8th January 2008, 22:48
Enthusiast

alackofspeed is on a distinguished road

Hopefully I'll find some time to get my car through the SVA retest (haven't got a plan at the moment - might need to buy some time off ), by which time Marlin will hopefully have fired up production again, and I'll get my phase 2 rear suspension.

When I fit that, I'll set my rear toe the same as it is currently, and report my findings. I've got a dunlop optical gauge.

To be honest, although playing with the toe will be provide some intrigue, I don't think it'll come close enough to solving what Marlin have already admitted is an inherent flaw in the early rear suspension design.

For the record, I've got what must be phase 1.5 rear suspension, in that the upright is a reinforced item. Mark M pointed it out to me when I collected my kit, that I had Type-R specific rear uprights, strengthened to take higher loads.

I don't know what speed you "lost your nerve" at, but I had an "oooh I don't like that" experience, similar to what you described.

I can fully understand why at Llandow over the course of a lap, I was faster in my dagenham dustbin, than you were in the 5exi - one is constantly changing from loud to slow pedal, and in that situation the 5EXI with the floppy rear-end does not inspire confidence, whereas in a docile FWD car I could drive on the limit with no bother at all.

I know my comments are all based upon a lowly 140 miles of driving my 5exi, and some people may discredit my comments on that basis.