View Single Post
Old 18th March 2012, 23:17

thecarbuilder246 is on a distinguished road
Cool my dino so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino_gt View Post
Hi Ian;

I´m afraid I can´t go the complete 206 way, because I think it would be impossible. First thing would be the "spinner type" wheels, which i´m not using. I´m using 16" cromodoras with the modern 246 hub caps.

There are as well other differences such as the head-rests, etc. The car is going to look as a mixture of modern components in an "old 206", but regarding the bodyshell, I wanted it to be as the 206 and L-series of the 246 are, and not introducing the modifications of later 246.

The modifications are going to affect the items used to finish the car: steering wheel, wheels, etc. I´ll post some pics when it´s ready for that.
Also, being a replica, we don´t have to worry about winning any concourse, do we?

What is really interesting to me about the 206 is that it was an all aluminum car, really light, and rare, as there were only a few produced, but the 246 probably looks better.

I´m using an alfa 3.0 V6. I agree that the engine has to be a V6, absolutely. I also was worried about the performance and handling of the car so we have worked really a lot on that: suspension geometry, etc.

Lately we´ve been really into the bodyshell and on the doors. At the moment we´re working with the door frames and the opening system. The frame is basically the one used in the deons, but trying that it leaves only a small gap with the bodyshell (3-4mm).

We´ve also modified the rear quarter window to make it the correct size and put a rain gutter close to the one fitted to the original car.
Really hard work!

Cheers
Dino_GT
Hi
My chassis was the last one to leave deons factory and was engineered to take the ford v6 engine and also had the alteration to the footwells. I have used the standard deon wishbones front and back the fiat/lada front uprights up front and the lancia items at the back.
I started in the engine bay,as after speaking with David Javan I had to have a cossie v6 lump. A brand new crated engine came up, the exsisting engine mounts were cut off and it was shoehorned in.New engine mounts were made and welded in allowing the engine and gearbox to sit 2" lower.I had to have an original boot/engine cover-not the ugly deon thing with the top box bonded on!! On my side the cossie lump was also slightly less tall than the essex unit and came with all alloy heads and alloy sump as standard.
Another upgrade was a one off double core radiator with twin fans mounted approx 100mm back to allow correct bonnet opening.This meant cutting away most of the front floor,which seemed to allow the nose to move up to a more pleasing postion-result!!
Brakes have also been upgraded-280 x 24 brembo vent discs at the front with wilwood 4pots,280 x 10 brembos at the rear with (for Iva ) standard lancia calipers and handbrake.Hubs front and back have all been remachined and fitted with one off cnc'd concentric hub adaptors drilled to take the 16"cromodoras.
Starting at the front of the car a completely new bonnet was made as after the nose moved the original no longer fitted.This also has a moulding on the underside to make it more convincing.Patterns were made and alloy hinges cast for front opening as per real dino.Looking at buying superformance wheel well/front under bonnet mouldings to finish off in here. Also looking at the under belly moulding missing from the deon.
I too have hacked the rear quarter lites to bits and added a rain gutter.I have looked into a stainless trim to go on this but at the moment cannot get it to bend around the tight corner and look any good.It needs a few cuts to remove excess metal the tig weld and polishing back.
Unfortunately I never got the window frames from deon,so went to cr for them,but to be honest they were utter garbage. They were flat where the deon door is shaped around the quarterlite and when I tried to bend them to fit the welds broke.I did eventually get them to sort of fit but they really did look crap. After much head scratching and looking over a couple of dinos I took the bull by the horns and machined some lenghts of 20mm steel bar in to an "H" section to take the window flock/channel.These were then made up in to window frames on the car.About this time I came across a opening quarterlite on ebay and with a £65 winning bid was utter blown away when it fit straight in with little work. Of course new rubbers were ordered and as the dino has curved glass new flat glass will be fitted as well.
Mercedes 200 door locks were fitted as these are almost identicle to the ones used on the dino. Daytona openners take car of the outside while currantly working on the internal door openners.I've also moved the seat belt point to the correct postion and made a moulding to sit over it for a correct look.I'm using uprated deon door hinges and have fabricated brackets that mount to these and then onto the chassis for increased rigidity.
On the side I've increased the depth of the cill as mine was short for some reason and will extend this under the car as per dino.
At the back new mouldings for both the boot and engine cover were made.The engine cover relies on the deon hinges(now covered in the car by the seat belt moulding)and new hinges copied from a dino take care of the boot lid.Another pattern and casting for the boot handle fitted to the bootlid and another moulding seperates the engine compartment from the boot.I'm also looking to fitting the panel under the rear of the car. There is pobably alot more I've forgot-been on it ten years!!