Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old 10th December 2003, 00:35
Enthusiast

kitcarman is on a distinguished road

Truth is the first victim of propaganda .

Four points to justify that recommendation and a disclaimer .

Firstly, the TV company basically laid out their commercial objectives and ‘the script’ was edited to fit what they’d decided they were doing anyway.

Secondly, the use of new Chevy’s was fairly new to Pilgrim at the time and I believed it was the dogs gonads at the time the program was made, so I was being truthful .

Thirdly, in a commercial building environment the use of new engines made a lot of commercial sense. No labour expended in obtaining, removing, reconditioning, cleaning, etc, meant that complete new Chevy engines were cheaper than rebuilt Rover’s.

Fourthly, I was able to sell Chevy’s but could not supply Rover’s. Since the programme was going to an audience of newbies, the consensus was to promote that which was easy to supply.

Disclaimer , in the re-shooting and subsequent editing, the program makers got what they wanted and not necessarily what I was saying first time around. Subtle point, but if you’re ever been interviewed before a TV camera, you’ll realise how easily you can be manoeuvred into saying what THEY want said. One method they employ is to give you free speech for what they call take one. That’s the take with no film in the camera . For the second take, they say “we’ve got the first bit” (that which I wanted to say) “now give us this bit” (from a different camera angle). When I saw the edited programme a month later I couldn’t believe how I’d been duped . Having said this, it was OK by me for the audience it was aimed at.

Someone willing and able to re-build their own engine, who isn’t counting man-hours would do well to stick with Rover IMHO. So watch what I do .

Den