View Single Post
Old 1st July 2014, 19:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mr T - The lip may well stay as a feature, but unfortunately I can't trim it to match the interior for two reasons:
- The aero screens will not form an inside/outside line in the same way that the original wrap around screen would.
- Apart from a padded head rest (similar to your own) and the seats, there will be no real interior trim.

I've always liked the idea of a very "Spartan" race car look, but will make a final decision in the future.
Having said that, it might be possible to just use an edge strip in a similar way to Rattler's car, see below.
Although I would prefer a smaller / thinner strip than the one he has used.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Slowly Taking Shape - Part 1:
Spoke to Mac on the phone today about the sanding block set he is using on his build.

We also covered the work he did turning the old Cordite moulds into the new Navigator ones.

It is fair to say that we both agreed that I may have a few more body shell "adjustments" to make.

But before I started on the latest round of fibre glassing work, it was back to "mocking up" again.

Rattler posted this photo of his Milglia the other day.

I also went back and looked at the photos of Jerome's Spyder.

Obviously both cars have opted for aero screens and both look great.

However, I noticed that both cars have the aero screens fitted very close to the cockpit edge.

So I put my seat back on the driver's side and took some rough markings using a length of wood.

I then carefully climbed into the cockpit (remember the car is currently sitting on axle stands) to double check this looked OK.

Initially my plan was to fit the screens marginally ahead of this position.

Which gave me a nice flat section of Spitfire bulkhead to bolt them in through.

But it I fitted the screens closer to the locations used by the cars above, they would be back here.

If I fit them here they would need to be bolted through the overhanging lip!

As there is too many other things in the way behind the dash in this area.

So I am going to think about that a bit more before I commit to a final mounting point.

Initially I was planning to fibreglass in some metal support plates where the mounts were going to go today.

( Something I'd picked up while reading Scottie's build thread the other day. )

But there was more than enough work to do in other areas, so I can come back to this again.

So I carried on building up the scuttle in a number of areas.

This was the passenger side "before".

Then after a bit of a trim & some gel coat removal it looked like this.

There was actually more matting that this batch used.

So that eventually the whole area had three layers in place.

End of Part 1...

Last edited by Paul L; 1st July 2014 at 20:07..