View Single Post
Old 24th June 2004, 11:19
Enthusiast

Ex-Biker is on a distinguished road

Welcome Lee

To ease the stress as you put it, the correct donor that should give you all the parts (just as Marlin designed it) is a 1.6 lt Rover 200/25 model from 95 - pres. In addition you will need a set of rear discs, callipers and handbrake cable.

There are other ways.

There are a couple of companies that can supply just the bits you require. One I found was Viking spares, the other Rover parts. Both advertise in Kit Car.

My original thoughts on my build were to buy the bits from Rover parts as I wanted to fit a 1.8vvc engine. They quoted me £1200 for a 3k mile engine from a Rover 200 BRM (145bhp) complete with the engine loom and ancilleries. The rest of the components then came to around £300. All prices + vat. Disadvantage is cost and you only get exactly what you ask for. Advantage is engine & bits have some guarantee.

My budget changed my mind for me though. I ended up getting a 400 complete and a few other bits (rover 200/25 rear hubs, metro rack, rear callipers etc) for £300 cash. The advantage of this was getting lots of odds & sods that I may or may not use. I have them just in case though. The disadvantage was not getting a radiator (front end crash) and that some bits are not interchangeable with Rover 200 parts.

If I did it again I would wait until I could find a complete Rover 200/25 in a scrappy and buy that.

As for sourcing new parts. I didn't consider it.

Hope this helps a little.