Thread: Oxford build
View Single Post
Old 18th June 2014, 10:55

oxford1360 is on a distinguished road

Gary: It's 54cm from the top of the deck behind the driver to the lowest part of the steel floor (where the rear passenger's feet used to go). This may be less than on most cars because I have sat the body low to get the stance I want - rather than lowering the suspension by much.

Another picture taken by candlelight. Nothing much but behind the mess is some real progress. By deciding to build the frame myself I have to decide the position of the steering wheel - height, rake, distance from driver. And, I have to do this without knowing exactly my seating position. I got myself comfortable and put the wheel in the ideal place.....but this made it almost impossible to get out. So, a few compromises later and it is now central and square to the driving position. It may not look like it in the photo, but the wheel is perfectly in line with the roll hoop.

I shall connect up the new articulated column this evening and get some proper pics of all the steps. This will show the new super-short original Herald column.

After the pic was taken I popped the bodywork on and the position of the wheel in relation to it is great. I'm resisting adding my Moto Lita but I won't be able to resist for much longer.

PS My new Arc welder is brilliant. I'd forgotten how brutally simple and convenient rods are.

Last edited by oxford1360; 18th June 2014 at 11:45..