View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:44
Enthusiast

Mike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramsay View Post
Fair enough... The manual said it should be the first of the jobs to do on the bodywork, when you say dash top what do you mean?
Although mine is a Cabrio, the priniples are likely to be the same, and I was told to start with the panels at the front and work backwards, ie:

Nose Cone first
Bonnet side panels
A frame
Doors
Rear tub last.

For the Cabrio this made a lot of sense since its nose cone can not be adjusted rearwards due to the way it is attached to the chassis - it has a rear facing vertical flange which attaches to a forward facing vertical chassis flange. This can be turned into a poitive since it ensures a consistent/repeatable datum to work from, and allows you to position the other panels from it to create consistent /repeatable vertical gaps - (this is more important than you may realise as the panels tend to be fitted and removed several times during the build - and probably for painting at the end, so a repeatable re-fit is very important).

My doors were not good. The drivers door could be twisted back into a better shape. The passenger door required cutting and re-welding to get the panel fits to a level that I was happy with.

Mike