View Single Post
Old 20th October 2013, 17:01

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
inspirrational stuff towed. your car is a real ambassador for the Sammio/ribble range. I love 550's so your colour and dash choice is obviously swaying me a bit! keep it coming .
Glad you like my car TS. I went with silver because I initially wanted a 718 RSK replica (very expensive to build and I didn't fit in the cockpit when I tried one for size) which looks stunning in silver. Despite everyone telling me silver would be hard to spray I actually found it quite straightforward and the result looks period correct - it reflects the light nicely but isn't a mirror finish which would just look too new.

I still take my hat off to Gary J for evolving the shape from an old Nikri body he bought on ebay and reinventing the rebody concept, and I have no complaints about the quality of my mid production body shell (number 50 or thereabouts) for the price I paid. Bearing in mind that I got the complete body, internal frame, egg crate grille, lowered battery tray and 550 dashboard for under £1,300, while the body alone for a 356, 550 or 718 would've been around £3,500 + VAT, the Sammio is an absolute steal, even if it was rather thin and wobbly until it was bonded onto the frame and the cockpit boxed in with ply.

The best thing I can say about the product is that it genuinely seems difficult to build a crap looking one. They suit all colours and most chop and change mods, like bonnet scoops and bulges, and even look good in the bare fibreglass - just take a look at the gallery photo of 'skippy' an unpainted budget build completed by the chap in the goggles.

On the whole I can thoroughly recommend this kit to anyone.