View Single Post
Old 29th August 2006, 23:42
Enthusiast

kitcarman is on a distinguished road

Hi Mark,
I know that we’re singing off the same hymn sheet, but was concerned that certain onlookers wouldn’t understand what you meant by “Sorry Den, but b*tchin' ain't marketing”.

I know that what was said was difficult to comprehend, but it’s done now and it’s been effective. There can’t be many who are unaware of the fact that certain titles can’t be read at face value on certain topics and, I think, people are now equally aware that one magazine leads the field by a country mile.

That’s one of the reasons why the new Kit Car Guide is such a success. It’s being supported by manufacturers who only a year ago would not have wanted to be in it. Of the 100 models featured so far, only 3 haven’t contributed toward its cost (one of those was Bugrat).

My point is that even if I’ve been “ b*tchin'” it HAS served as marketing. To be taken seriously in this industry, I had to undo the cumulative effect of a decade of lies about me. Those lies were debilitating both from a personal perspective and had financial ramifications.

Setting the record straight is not all that I’ve done. I simultaneously made the magazine bigger, improved the technical journalism by recruiting Nigel and put considerable effort into ‘marketing’ to those who stock magazines.

Strides have been made too in the areas you’ve just mentioned. The covers have been better, as has been the photography and layouts. I honestly believe that newcomers will get a better impression of the industry than previously.

What I’m saying, Mark, is that I’m doing my very best to improve the industry’s image. The messy situation of putting Fib’s in his place was a necessary part of the overall package, because not only do the mags have to look good, but they have to be trustworthy too – otherwise they’re about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogenie
So i'm not alone when I flick through a mag to see if I wish to purchase it? Maybe you would increase sales if you removed the covering Den?
Twice this year we’ve bagged the mag in order to enclose free catalogues. If this troubles you: you only need open the bag in the shop – many do! On both occasions our sales increased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushturbo
There are different points of view as to cost vs qaulity.
There are indeed, and I’ll look particularly favourably at any kit which offers a reasonable product for a reasonable price. However, and I’ve said this before, honest magazines report what they find: rather than find what they report.

In compiling the new guide; I see various new development trends. It’s only a matter of time before one or more of them become ‘trendy’ as was the case with beach buggies in the 1970’s, the Duttons of the !980’s and many replicas of the 1990’s. As then, early examples were less attractive than later, more refined, models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuoriserie
You set the rules, you could even run it in your next issue...
Hi Fuoriserie,
Please don’t burden poor ole Kartman with publishing responsibilities. So far as I’m aware he isn’t a publisher (yet)…. although there might be a rag for sale soon!!!!

Den